Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Combo amp $300-$500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jermyandhisbass, Mar 10, 2003.

1. I need a backup combo amp to take to college this fall, something decent enough to handle small coffee shops gigs. I want it to be in the 40-55 lbs range too. Any ideas?

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Bassman100. I dont know how much it weighs, but its a great amp.

3. Bassman 100 is 65-70 lbs, good idea though. I have an Eden Metro now, upwards of 90-100 lbs. Little much to haul on a college campus. Any other ideas?

4. FadedOutBassist

FadedOutBassist Guest

Apr 19, 2002
    New York!
    Hartke kickback, awesome amps, great speakers, and are versatile. They've got a lot of power in a smaller sie than the bassman 100 and weigh about half as much depending on which model you get, I prefer the 12. Good luck on finding the right amp for you. and remember to just go around and try as many out as you can and decide whats right for your sound.

5. Hartke kickback---I dunno. Had a 410 Transporter for awhile. The sound of aluminum speakers got old quick, and the 3500 head was problematic. Small things broke at inopertune times. I shouldn't be so choosey in this price range, but want the best I can find. I play a lot of jazz, latin, and rock if that helps.

6. FadedOutBassist

FadedOutBassist Guest

Apr 19, 2002
    New York!
    The 3500 and any series hartke with 500 in it has tube and solid state preamps in it if im not mistaken, they tend to break alot, I've had two in the guitar store I work at break and had to be sent out, the kickbacks use a differnt preamp system, they are great for jazz but might not be "raw" or gritty enough for rock if thats the sound you are goin for, then I'd either recomend ampeg or fender. Happy trails:)

7. you tried any GK combos? Maybe look at nemesis...their stuff is pretty light and sounds good.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I'd have to agree...

I own a Hartke Kickback 12, and I don't really like the sound of Hartke's aluminum speakers. Specificially the midrange, it seems very cold and metallic, not the tone I'm looking for.

9. GK is an option if it fits the price range. There are no nearby Nemesis dealers, would leave to stick with Eden based stuff, but that may be hard to come by with the ownership change. It will be 3-5 months before I will purchase, just getting ideas now.

10. BEELEZABUB

BEELEZABUB Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You should check out a Crate. They're relatively cheap and they're EXTREMELY durable. I've used mine for about 2 years and it's been through hell, and it still sounds great.

11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Polytone Sonic Bass!! Good enough for Carol Kaye!!

12. My little brothers "band" has been jamming at our house lately, and the bass player has a Carvin PB-200. Tried it out today, and I really liked it. I think is about 57lbs, but was pretty loud. Sounded a lot better than my Peavey combo, and is pretty cheap too. I know for the most part you probably won't be able to try one before you buy it, but I was pretty impressed!

jtbp

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Ampeg B100r-- classic tone, classic look, cool blue power light. Put some casters on and you're ready to go. :D

14. Try a Yorkville bm200 combo. They are small, have enough power for clubsized gigs and just sound great.

15. Another couple of suggestions:

SWR La 15
    Ashdown Electric Blue Series

Not sure about the weight of each but they are both great little amps

16. mccoyblues

mccoyblues

Sep 24, 2002
    Atlanta GA
  17. The GK MB150 is over $700, a bit too pricey for a backup. I would like to keep it around $500. Also, many of the brands posted aren't available anywhere near where I am. I think Samash has Ashdown. I know where to find GK, Hartke, Fender, and Crate gear. Some of the others, including the Nemesis line, are unable to be played before bought. I have played the 100 watt Carvin combo, and honestly thought it was aweful. The speaker is aweful. Thanks, keep the ideas coming.

18. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    A WM 12 will meet your price and weight criteria and should do you fine. You can add a speaker cab for larger venues.

And if the coffee shops are really just coffee shop-size, you might want to consider the new Bassman 25. It is delightfully small and light, and amazingly loud for its size and power. Less filling and sounds great.

19. I vote for the Yorkville BM200, its got loads of power, it should be plenty to fill any coffee house sized gigs, and the tone isnt bad either.