1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Combo Amp for under $400 (used)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by m0ranwad, Feb 27, 2013.

1. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Might be taking over for a bass player in an existing cover band. The band plays SMALL bar gigs, and if they book anything larger - there is generally a PA involved. The current bass player uses a MarkBass 2x10 combo with no cab extensions. I've read all about Ohms and Watts and the great debate about loud drummers, but the band has assured me that anything over 100 watts is enough (not sure I believe that, but the point is - small is okay). Head/Cab is pretty much out of the question ($$$$$$$).

- The band plays mostly rock hit covers (nothing heavy).

- Should fit in a 4 door compact sedan.

- XLR out would be nice for PA use.

I was considering the Ampeg B-100R, but I cannot find ANY used in my area.

Opinions? :help:

2. Lots of options out there, but what area are you in? This will help a lot.

3. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    i played an Ampeg 210 combo that was love. recorded our first record on it in fact. sound really, really good. not the loudest ever, but sounds very "Ampeg" for whatever that's worth. mine was a few years older and didn't have the new effects button on it. my combo rated higher in user satisfaction than the new ones so look for one without the effects option.

also, you can prob get a new Fender Rumble series for under $400, a used one for sure.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    TC BG250 "250W" and 115T combo.. tubedrive, one DSP Fx slot, DI out. its clear detailed & transparent and also loud...they are $400 new, and given i just got a streamliner, if you live in NE there may be one used..lol

5. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    The U S of A ;) Cleveland, Ohio to be precise.

6. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013

Nearly sold on this. The TonePrint feature is a great selling point, and at 35# ???

7. The Tone Print thing sounds like a neat toy, in a band situation not so useful from the experiences I have read. Have you checked GC's used on line? G-K MB210 would do well, Carvin has some good new combos. you might even find the MarkBass combo used on line and have it shipped to a GC near you.

8. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    TC BG500's are going for $350 used and it's an amazing combo that will hang with the loudest drummers in any moderately sized indoor venue. It has built in compression and great tube tone. The only downside is you'll want to get a collapsible dolly to cart it around.

9. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    I used to have a Hartke Kickback which worked great on stage if you have a PA and was good for the smaller clubs. However, the pots were (this was nearly 15 years ago now) plastic and a couple broke off.

Right now I have an Acoustic B200 combo which I love. It works great for either electric or upright, fits the standard Ernie-Ball casters and was $200 used from GC. Plenty loud enough.

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
  11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    maybe a 1x12 combo for a couple hundred. make sure it'll let you add a cab, get a 1x12 cab. maybe one of the gk's will do this. maybe carvin. once you start thinking 1x15's you might be pressed with that budget to find small or light. but even a bulky 1x12 will still be easier to manage that most 1x15 cabs or combos. some 2x10 combos aren't all that small or light.

12. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    GKMB 115 @ 200 watts. 35 lbs. DI. Sometimes I take two and stack them, split out of the back of my pedal. Load in takes two trips to the Accord, bringing 2 amps from the trunk, then two basses (one strapped on back) with a small laptop sized gear bag.

The 410s, each 95 lbs, went away with the SUV. My bottom end is clearer, less boomy. My dropped tuned kid uses them also.

13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    most folks simply put the multi-band compressor in and forget about it.. certainly cannot change fx quickly in a gig setting but fun the play with.

14. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman

Oct 24, 2012
    Not a bad choice. The GK MB210 would also be an option. It has more power, and the option to add an extension cabinet (if needed at some point), unlike the MB115. OTOH, GK sells powered extension cabinets, which could be added to one of the newer combos.

Personally, I like the flexibility of a micro head (e.g. GK MB200) and a separate cabinet (e.g. GK MBE210). It's easier to mix and match as your needs (and $$$) change.

In either case, used gear is the way to go. There's a lot of mint used gear out there, especially here on TB where GAS is at epidemic levels. :)

15. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    TC Electronic BG 250 can be had for around $325 used. Much more power and features than the Fender or Ampeg options in that price range.

16. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Paid $200 for my acoustic b450, has 2 outs, tons of tone, pedal out, tuner out, 450 watts. Picture taken in my trunk lol.

Attached Files:

17. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Another vote for an GK MB210. Or the 212 if you can find one.

18. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Haven't been able to find it used in my region.

19. I play an AMPEG B115 - it's a good one

20. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I'd stick with your original idea of the B-100R. It's one of the sweetest sounding little combos you'll come across, and it's a loud 100 watts. I use one many times with my classic rock project and it carries well enough the soundman usually doesnt even need much of me in the mix. It doesn't have an XLR out - but you can do what I do and just use a 1/4" to XLR adapter. Since you can't find one local, I'd look on Ebay and GC's used site.