Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best combo amp for under $600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzbasslover, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    I want to buy an amp that is fairly portable yet is loud enough to play with drums and guitar. Something more than a small practice amp but not a head and a stack of cabinets either. I've tried the SWR Working Man's series and was impressed with the sound and the features that would be useful on the studio. I'm also interested in the Carvin RB 600 2x10. How does it sound? Could anyone recommend anything else. Under $600 would be great.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This would be better served in the "Amps" forum, just below this one.

-Mike

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Amp questions go in the Amps forum. Moved.

4. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    hey - the carvin is really cool, but good luck getting it for under 600, or even close to that. Check out hartke combos too - the kickback are cheap, but the 2115 and 2155 are really great.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I used to have an SWR Workingman's 15 which served me well for several years. I own two B100R's now and think they sound very nice.

I also own a Hartke Kickback 10. I used to hate it, but after goofing with the shape feature, I really like the tone and the kickback feature comes in very handy for being able to hear what you are playing. Based on this, I would check out the Hartke Kickback 15. Just my $.02

Lync

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if it matters. I tried a lot of combos.

The best portable solution for me is a Aguilar GS 112 and a GK 700rb. I can carry each in one hand with a bass on my shoulder if need be. Pretty sweet portable rig.

7. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I think you'll find that your budget means you can buy whatever you like the sound of best in a combo. I'm real pleased with my Gallien-Krueger Backline 115. I think these are about $450 new at GC (got mine used for $250). This past weekend they had lots of SWR stuff at half-price (they said it was a one day thing, but you know how that works).

That said, the poster who recommended the head and cabinet is onto something. A sufficiently powerful combo in a well-built cabinet is HEAVY. My "ideal" rig would be more like an SKB 4-space case with a Sansamp RBI, a QSC amp, and may be a digital effects box with a decent 2x12 or 1x15 or 1x18 cabinet. It spreads the wieght around.

Millard

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How about the EA Wizzy combo?

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=iamp200wz

Only 44 lb. This won't be under $600, though, unless you snag a great deal on a used piece.

I also think the idea of a modest-sized head with a modest-sized cab is a very good one. That can actually be more convenient than many combos.

9. Jazzbasslover

Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about posting inthe wrong place. I just started posting on this forum yesterday.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem bro. You got a few good suggestions in there. I like the GK combo's. I have never owned one, just played through quite a few. I think you would be happy with the Ampeg that was suggested as well. I played on the B100R for the first couple months I played bass.

Having owned a combo for a long time, I am now ready to try the head and cab route. You may want to look into that. For $600, you can get a couple of good pieces of gear.

-Mike

11. yes, the head and cab combo is something to consider, and you can find some great deals on 1x10 cabs. I got my Ampeg PB110H and SWR ST-220 from TBers for under $300. The ampeg holds it's own pretty well, I've used this rig in church and have been very happy. Of course our drummer is in a booth. But we do let him out occasionally, for good behavior.

I've seen the SWR Wkgmn 1-10 for around $100, and the Eden CXC110 for under $200, so they would be good choices to go with a Hartke 3500, or GK400rb, or Workingman 300 or 2002, all of which are available for under $300 on the used market.

just my $.02

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1

13. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Many people are starting to talk about Ashdowns. They seem to be a lot of amp for the $$.

14. Eden Nemises 210 or 115
    Eden CXC 110
    Yorkville X400t

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i was a long time workmans 15 combo user and i think that combo is awesome

but for cheaper i've had really good (but only like 3-4 nights, seperate occasions) experiences with teh hartke kickback12, surprisingly loud