1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Combo Amp to carry on a plane

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bulldog41, Mar 6, 2008.

1. bulldog41

bulldog41

Apr 29, 2007
    I am flying over to asia to play for a week and I need a good solid Bass combo that is small enough to carry on the plane with me to save shipping costs. I have a Mesa 750 and 2 NV610 Bergies at home but can't afford to take them with me :crying:

The combo will need a line out and I will be playing with Roland V drums on stage. Any Suggestions??

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Do you want to carry it on (in the cabin)?

The two small combos are the GK MB150 and the new Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 8T/10T or 6.0 12T. The Genz have the ability to easily switch b/w 120/240 volts. There's also the EA Micro and Wizzy 10 although it's not a combo but a cab and head.

3. Genz Benz shuttle 3.0 or 6.0 with whichever speaker cab you prefer.

You could always just take one of those heads with you? No way to check if there is a backline cab being provided or if you could hook up to the PA?

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's also the Markbass combos. But I would think that since much of Asia is on 240, you would want something that easily switches b/w 110/240 which leaves you with Genz and EA

5. bulldog41

bulldog41

Apr 29, 2007
    Yes on the plane (in the cabin) I have heard good things about Markbass but have never played through one. I will check out Genz and EA. Thanks for you advise

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Phil Jones. I've played a briefcase, and they are amazing.

7. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    ^I was about to say one those. Maybe the flightcase?

8. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I travelled from Asia to N. America (Toronto) with a Trace Elliot Boxer 15 in my suitcase. It was protected by the clothing and arrived in perfect condition. Granted, I had to pay an over-weight baggage fee at check-in. And the Boxer 15 is the smallest amp produced by T.E.; just 15 watts and 9 kilograms.

I really don't think sending an amp as checked baggage is a good idea--the baggage handler gorillas will damage it, regardless of how well it is packed.

A better plan might be to simply rent an amplifier at your destination. Here in Japan, local music stores carry all of the major brands, and rental equipment is available.

9. I'm wanting to get a combo I can fly with, but I didn't think you could bring anything in the cabin. I tried to take a borrowed 1x10 combo on a flight and was denied. He said I wasn't allowed to get it under the plane too. But my guitarist already had his under there. I mentioned that and the guy from the gate made the handlers pull it off.
    From what my guitarist friend said (he's flown more than I)
    is that you should always check it in a case. The handlers won't hassle you, but now gate folks are getting nervous about having them in the cabin.

Ahy thoughts? I was thinking of finding a SWR Workingman 10 with a case for flight. Should I be able to take it on the cabin?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ever think of just waiting till you get to Japan to buy something? Or maybe buy a tiny head and rent out a cab while you're there? I'm sure they have good backline companies.