Best Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jun 29, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I should ask you guys how to get a girlfriend... Maybe you could answer that too! And very well, I bet. No, just kidding but its great being able to ask questions about bass.

Anyway, what is the best combo amp to use in a band that does small shows? I'm going up against a 200 watt guitar, a loud drummer, a 30 watt guitar that may become something with more watts, and maybe eventually we'll get horns. I want to get something that does a little more than I need, too.
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    What kind of money are you able to spend? For under $1000 CAN (im guessing about 700-750 US?) brand new you could get the Yorkeville 400 watt combo. Sorry, I forget the model number of the new series. It is loud, very reliable, and has pretty decent tone. For more money, you could get a SWR Workingman's 15. It isn't as powerful as the Yorkeville, but IMO has much better tone. I know Gallien-Krueger (sp?) makes a great 2x10 combo too.
    get to your local store and check soem out. See what sounds good to your ears.

Good luck,

Edit: Depending on how loud your band is, you might want to consider getting a used head/cab setup. It will be more powerful and more flexible in terms of future expansion.

Edit2: You might want to do a search on these forums also. I'm sure there has been alot of discussion about combo amps on this site.
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    As far as combos goes, I like the EBS Gorm.
  4. well, somehow i doubt that it's 200 watts worth of guitar, it might be 100 watts, but i'm not here to argue. your best bet is to probably buy a Yorkville XM200 with an extention cabinet, since not only are you dealing with small shows, but since there's a good power difference between the two guitarists, someone's going to need to turn down if their serious about making music.
    Now here's my logic. in general, if you just go with that cheap combo, it will hold you for a long while so long as the louder guitarist doesn't blow wide open. also, your group has to worry about the softer guitarist upgrading, so that should buy you some time. if you have an extention cabinet that's something like 400 watts or so, you can always go on ebay and find a head if the combo doesn't cut it. that, or just use the PA that's available. it's jersey, there's probably one there. or at least at the places that i go to.
  5. I've always loved my SWR Workingman 15...great tone
  6. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Depending on price range obviously...but...

The Carvin redeye 210 combo rocks, with the cyclops 6815 for louder, lower stuff. Theyre very good bang for the buck, and the R600 head thats used in both of those has an absolute ton of features.

For a bit more the peavey Bam 210 really really impressed me. I plugged in not expecting much (peavey amp, right?), and I really got some very impressive tones, right up there with anything else ive ever played... The onboard effects are nice too.

whats yer price range?

EDIT: OH i forgot about the GK 210 combo amp (cant remember the model number right now). Every time i go into GC i end up plugging into that thing. Pretty powerful, with room for expandability, and it sounds great! (im talking about their higher end line, not the backline series.)
  7. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    My price range is under $1000. I'm going to do some serious saving up for it. Yeah, I was thinking about getting a head and one cab for practicing, that would have me well off, probably cost me $800. Then I'll save up a little more and get another cab so I can really be heard for live gigs. Okay, so that's what I'll probably do, but if I were to get a combo, I'd get the SWR Workingmans 15, just to let you know. Currently I have an SWR, and I like it a lot, for 100 watts it is great and loud. Reccomend it for anybody looking to be in a band, but they don't want to spend too much or they are a beginner.

I'm look for a head with a tube and solid state preamp. I like tube tone. Is this a good one (click here)

Well, that's the good looking head, and it would last me for life. I also like it cause it doesn't have those little holes on the side to put it in one of those big stacks with rackmount effects and everything, but that's just purely aesthetic thinking. How does it sound? I'd probably get a cabinet by Ampeg or SWR to back whatever head up that I do wind up getting. Do heads really make the difference in your sound, or is it the cabinets? Answer that please. I know you guys might pass that up.

Keep in mind, I'll have to save up for this for a while so don't expect me to be like "Oh check out my new set of cabinets," well anytime soon.
  8. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    So, if I were to get the GK 210 combo, I could plug cabinets in it to expand? I suppose thats what you mean by room to expand.
  9. On this forum you'll find people who will bash any brand of amp out there, whether Hartke, Fender, Peavey, or Ampeg. I personally have had good luck with all of these. I've got the older Hartke 5000, for example, and it's lasted well for 7 years, no problems. (I actually would much rather have the Hartke 5500 than the 5000 for my gigging needs now, since I've more or less gotten out of the bi-amp train of thought.)

I don't have any experience with Carvin amps, but I've got tons of Peavey gear and it's always been reliable, and a great value for the money, usually with lots of power and good flexibility.

A colleague of mine just bought a GK head and a used Avatar 4x10 and it sounds great, for not a whole lot of cash.
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, it sounds like you'll need a combo with some power. GK's a brick poophouse. Thing is, any combo you get will be HEAVY. When you're talking combo's, you definitely gotta HAUL volume.
  11. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Well yeah, I have my doubts that its really 200 watts, but when I asked him he checked on the back of the amp and said yeah its 200. Maybe he keeps the volume low. I mean I can still hear the guitars who uses a 30 watt amp pretty well, so he can't have it turned up to much. But, I am sometimes scared my amp will overheat and crap out on me because I have to turn it so loud.
  12. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Ok thanks for all the help, I will still check out combo amps, but I'll probably get a head and a cabinet instead. I'm still checking out all the combos you guys suggested though. One that allowed expansion would be nice.
  13. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Have you thought about an EA iamp800 combo? The price might be a little high for what you're looking for, but the sound is terrific and the built-in dolly makes it very portable. The amp part is rated at 400 watts into 8 ohms, 800 into 4 ohms, over 1000 watts at 2 ohms. The cab part is rated at 8 ohms, so you could add several expansion cabs down the road.

I 've had mine for a couple of months and although I've tried it with my Acme Low B2 added, so far it's been loud enough by itself for the gigs I've played.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am a big fan of my Eden Metro. The Peavey BAM is also great. Make sure to check out the SWR Super Redhead.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I like the GKs I've played as well - that is probably what I would go with for the money, personally.

How about a Nemesis?
  16. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I love my Peavey Bam 210! I added a 15 inch cab under it and now it meets all types of needs, just the combo for practice small venue etc. add the cab and it gets earbleeding loud. But I prefer to use the cab at all times just because the 15" makes the tone so much fuller. I'm real pleased with my setup right now. I can highly recommend the Combo.
  17. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If you want a clean sound I'd get a GK. If you want a dirtier tone, Ampeg is good. I'd also try an Eden if I were you.
  18. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ya know, if your looking at a head/cabinet setup, for right around 1000 or less....

The setup I use is the carvin RL610, and i absolutely love it. That amp is $999 (no tax unless your in CA, and right now shipping is free i believe). If you can spring for that, then youll get a head and two cabinets, a 2x10 and a 1x15, as well as a 600 watt head.

Really good deal for the $ IMO, and youll be set for a really long time, if not for life. The only problem is that you obviously cant try it out unless your in california....or if your coming by chicago any time soon you can try out mine : ).
  19. ok, here's the final determination. what is it. combo? half stack? if it's a combo, and it's got a 12 inch speaker, i can guarantee he's not putting out much more than 70 watts, if anything
  20. rddog

May 30, 2003
    Park City, UT
    +1 for the Eden Metro