1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moondog33, Jul 18, 2007.

1. moondog33

moondog33

Jul 17, 2007
    Hello,
    I appreciated your advice in trying to help me decide on a bass guitar. I would like to know what combo amp you would recommend for home practice and maybe performing in a small setting. I am considering the Fender Bassman 150. Any advice from experience would be appreciated. I will be using a Fender bass or a Yamaha. Thanks

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, there's an amp section that this should be in...

But to answer your question, I seriously think 150 watts is WWAAAYYY too much to use for practicing at home. I have a Fender Rumble 10, and that does me fine for bedroom practice.

3. moondog33

moondog33

Jul 17, 2007
    Sorry I put this in the wrong forum. Please forgive me. I am a newby and learning fast. I will be playing classic rock and pop and some gospel and smooth jazz.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I use an '06 bassman 150 and love it. Cool features for practicing and enough power for small gigs. To me it sounds best with the tweeter at -6db and I roll off a touch of high end. jmo mind you but i have been able to dial in some nice thick growl out of it.
    see pic for big gig set up

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    150 watts is not enough for a live performance (well anything rock or harder) IMO. Get as big of an amp as you can, always. That's my advice. They make volume knobs for a reason :)

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a SWR workingman 10 that I use for practice and acoustical gigs. I have replaced the speaker with a Deltalite thou it sounds good even stock. Here is a 12" version on the bay. The price is great and probably won't be there long.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-Workingmans...QQihZ019QQcategoryZ121159QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also you might want to fill out your profile. You mentioned that you got a bass so I was curious what you got and there was nothing in your profile.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Ampeg B100 or B200

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I disagree. I practice with a 30W Hiwatt and I have to hook up an Ampeg 2x10 or 1x15 as it is too tinny with just the little Hiwatt speaker (8 or 10" I think).

I personally would buy something really cheap to practice with or buy a 300+ rig and just play it low. 150W is not enough to play a gig with unless you mic it or DI to a PA.

I used to practice with a 450W Ampeg and 3 cabs but I got sick of lugging it all home 3-4 times a week. I just like the tone of bigger rigs. Even on very low volumes.

9. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I have been very happy with my Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110. Tiny little amp with a big sound. Nice features too and not too pricey.:hyper:

10. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    The real question is... what do you want to spend? I personally agree with getting enough amp to provide for whatever needs you may have in the near future. If that includes gigs, you're going to want to account for that. I used to have a Mesa walkabout scout combo. Yeah, these things are around $900... but it is one of the only small combos that would actually give you enough to do some gigging, while still being very small and light. There are a bunch of other options, too. Perhaps a used Carvin B800 head with an Avatar or similar 112 cab? There are so many options out there right now, that it is hard to give any meaningful advice without knowing more about what sound you're looking for, if size and weight is a concern, and your budget. If all you need is bedroom practice, You can likely get by for under $100. Gigs? gonna be a bit more costly. :) Have you played any amps that you really liked the tone of? Let us know some more details and we can help direct you in a good direction to fit your needs.

11. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    As posted above, price makes quite a difference. Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll put in a vote for the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase. Very portable, very hi-fi, 100 watts will cover practice and small gigs (unless you're in a high volumn rock or metal outfit).

Sweet little amp.

12. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I tested some of the Peavey amps at Guitar Center prior to buying mine (MAX 115) and they sounded good and got quite loud (loud enough to practice). I ended up getting the bigger Peavey with the 15" speaker and 50 watts. The one a step below it was $200 and had a 12" / 40W (MAX 112) was also a nice combo.

I'm extremely happy with my Peavey (though I don't have much experience in the area of bass amps). You can also try and save some money by asking for a discount on a display model. I ended up saving about $50 because it was the only one they had left and it was on display. It's worth trying, if it'll help you get a better amp for a lower price.

It's just something to look into. The Fender practice amps also sounded good. That would have been my second choice, as far as amps in that price range go.

13. brotheralbert

brotheralbert

Apr 18, 2007
    Well, besides price, there is also the weight factor. I think that" used " is probably the best for your buck. I have found that 65 watts, at least in my house, can rattle the windows. As was stated before, get am amp that has a built in DI to the PA if you want to play it out. Add a CD input to practice with, and I think it sould suite you well until your next GAS attack.IMHO.

14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was suprised at how little I needed for practicing alone. I had been using a tiny Gorilla amp w/8" speaker that my nephew left at my house. I had it at my feet to rehearse new songs I was learning from MP3's at my PC. Even with my 5 strings I was able to get enough volume to play along with my pretty loud PC speakers w/woofer. But the little,old amp always distorted badly, cause of a bad "growl" knob, which is why he left it and I got tired of not hearing a clean sound. I shopped for combos and was amazed at how much they want for these rigs. I dragged my smallest cab, a 2x10, to my PC room and used it with my GK1001RBI, that worked real well, just took alot of space. I wanted a small combo to place below my PC station and a bassbuddy just sold me his Fender Rumble 100 for $200, its less than a year old. I'd read so so things about this amp on TB and HC, so it was not my first choice, but for the price, Im happy with it. Its really more than I need to rehearse but its nice to crank it when I want and hear some good bass tones and those red flickering lites, hah. With the amps and cabs I normally use at gigs I dont suppose I ever would use it to gig, but with the features it has, line out with line level knob, I could if I chose to. I guess it just depends on what you need and can live with. Def buy used if you can, I still feel new prices are too high for any combo amp.

15. If I were to picture best combo amp it would be either the eden metro or swr super redhead. They both can pretty much power full stacks with extension speakers and don't sound too shabby powered by themselves, both give off around 300w to 2x10" speakers

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If, as stated, you'll only be practicing at home or playing in small acoustic settings, the Fender Bassman 150 will be fine. But I tested it against the Roland Cube 100, and thought the Roland blew it away despite less power and a smaller enclosure. It's always my recommendation for your situation, thought the SWR WorkingPro 1x12" would be good too. The Roland has been great for rock band rehearsals, though I wouldn't use it on stage without PA support unless it was a small venue and I knew the guitars would be at modest volume.

If you're willing to spend more, look into Markbass stuff at Guitar Center. The 1x12" and 1x15" combos are light, and from all reports very gig-worthy. I tried the 2x10" yesterday, and was impressed.

And for classic tone of course the Ampeg combos are a safe bet.

17. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    I used to use a Fender BXR 100. It was small, relatively light (64 lbs), and plenty loud for practice. I gigged with it for about 6 months until I bought an Eden Nemesis NC410.

Look for something used to save some cash.

18. Yorkville XM100; comes in either 2x10 or 1x15.

Solid, reilable, louder than it looks

Also affordable. Biggest bang for the buck.