1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RonChase, Aug 24, 2012.

1. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I use cabs and amp heads primarily and have owned some combo amps over the yearsy favorite combos were Trace Elliot Ashdown Carvin and yes there have been Peavey and Fender combo amps, I like the combo for smaller gigs and have a Crate combo and I am pleased with it but now my wife is playing bass and she is not into amp and cab type amps so I tried a Markbass amp and was blown away by it I was wondering what others were using and the opinions they have, I thought about a Phil Jones bass amp maybe SWR Ampeg GK Hartke what is the consensus on what is a good combo amp?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    After owning Markbass, Ampeg, Trace Elliot, GK, Genz Benz, Peavey, really too many to name I am overly pleased so far with my TC Electronic BG250. Light, loud, inexpensive, tone for days.

Just me though. :)

3. Paul_Bruno

Paul_Bruno

Jan 15, 2010
    Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III. A real workhorse for gigging, I love it.
    Nice warm tone, 7 band graphic equaliser, compressor, tube drive and most importantly, loads of power.

Add an additional ashdown abm 210h compact speaker cab. to it to get the full 575watts output, so you can use it in medium size gigs.

A bit heavy to carry though.

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I was using a top of the line Acoustic Image, Focus 2R,
    series III. Most of the time with an Eden 112 (XLT?)-

and an Eden 4-10 for outdoor gigs w/ no PA.

Then I bought a Markbass 121 combo. It's now my main amp. I use the Eden 112 for an extension, but I plan to get Markbass 121 NY when I sell the Eden.

I traded away the AI.

I too was blown away by the sound and size of the Markbass.

5. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I like the GK sound so my favorite combo is the MB212. 500w but only a 38 pound amp. I have yet to play a gig where it wasn't enough power/volume. Plus it has a DI which is pretty neat.

6. Actually, it all boils down to what type of music you'll be playing. What's great for rock isn't exactly the best combo for smooth jazz.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1 to horses for courses; but add the Mesa Walkabout to your list of contenders.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ampeg B100R

9. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    SWR Readhead

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You can't beat a vintage Ampeg B-15-N! You just can't!
    B-15-NWEB.

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    GK

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm a big Carvin fan. I have a 1x15 500 watt combo and it kicks ass!

13. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    Many have been mentioned already, but there's also Fender Bassman 150 with a 12" speaker. Many have been pleased with them, for little money. I never owned one, but would consider one if I was looking for a combo. My friend has two, and they work nice together too :)

14. JKStantonious

JKStantonious

Jul 3, 2012
    I use my markbass 121p for everything. Jazz combo gigs and pop/funk really set nicely, I add a 4x10 standard markbass cab to it for the metal group I also play for and it punches through the mix nicely. I will never play on a different amp. It's lightweight and full of power. If you have a good instrument going through it, it doesn't color the natural sound of the bass unless you adjust it.

15. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the input ,someone mentioned style of music, I guess it is oldies,classic rock, blues and my original music which is consisting of all the above mentioned styles,

16. Jimgrande

Jimgrande

Aug 22, 2012
    I love thejeff berlin markbass...but its pricey...had a gk115...it was so light it moved across the floor...jimmy no likey

17. I agree even if I sold mine for a GK rig.

18. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    The Walkabout should be on every short list.

19. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Ampeg ba 15....has never failed me....great value buy....

20. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Ba115 sorry for the typo....