Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best combo for a Rick 4003 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 19, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

In your opinions, what is the best combo for use with a Rickenbacker 4003 ?

I wish to use that famous Rick sound, though adding powerful low-end to it (something like "infra-low"). I need 200 W RMS min. I also need a DI output for recording.

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

2. Ric-o-sound is a waste of time, IMO. You'd need either a 2-channel (with separate EQ per channel) amp to use it effectively, or 2 separate amps.

The only amp I never really liked with a Ric was SWR...Trace Elliot was a bit evil, too.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Try a Hartke if you can. I thought the aluminum drivers brought out the RIC "bite" real well when I heard one the other day. I just got a little Fender bassman 25 the other day and like the way my 4003 sounds through it.

4. That's simple...

AMPEG!

Nothing like the sound of a Rick through an Ampeg. They make a some nice combos. Not sure if it'll have an XLR DI out though. But that's the sound. Ampeg.

My opinion of course...

Brian

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Had an SVT a long time ago. Was an old one, and though the tubes had been changed, I did not sound that great... However, I guess more recent Ampeg's have been improved.

The B2 combo has a DI output, and delivers 200W stand-alone, and 350W w/ext. cabinet. And it has a 9-band EQ.

Though, my dealer says Ampeg are a bit "fragile". What about this ?

In another hand, what about Ashdown ABM combo ? Does it fit a Rick ?

Thanks again,

All the best,

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think my 4001 sounds good through EVERYTHING, but I do think it sounds particularly good through tubes or a tube emulator like a SansAmp. My RBI >> DCM1000 >> Bag End rig sounds fantastic.

So, I wasn't too surprised when I had a chance to listen to a friend play his 4003 through a Fender Bassman 400 with a RBI in the single rack space. Sweet! I wish I had one, even though I really don't need it!

You'd have a top quality DI in the RBI, and 350W out of the combo. The downside - about $1500 worth of combo after you add the RBI...

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest you to try the ampeg b100r, only 100 watt but it's a loud amp. i suggest you to try the fender bassman 200 too

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    AMPEG B100R

9. Damn straight it does. I played thru an ABM500 head once with an Ashdown 4x10 and 1x15 with my Ric 4003 and it was sweet. Loud, low, WARM, and the blendable tube/SS preamp was NICE.

Try/buy if you can, they're MUCH better pieces of kit than the new (SLM) Ampeg mush...sound and workmanship.