1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Combo For Mic-ing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groover, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd like to find a good combo that would have a line-out and would have good cab tone for mic-ing. When I gig, I would ultimately like to provide a mic to use in front of the cab, so I can ask the sound engineer to blend the line-out with the mic signal from in front of the cab.

The reason I'd like to do this is for transportability, and also to get the best tone. I currently use an Ampeg SVT-6Pro and a 410HLF which sound great, but only once has a sound engineer ever mic-ed it (always line out). That said, I'm just hauling around all that weight for nothing.

I figured if I bring my own short mic stand, and appropriate mic, then they'll most likely use that setup.

I guess I can do that with what I have now, but I'm hoping to achieve the same results in a smaller, more manageable format, and hopefully retain the same Ampeg tone I'm getting now from the amp/cab I'm using.

Any advice on this would be great :bassist:

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    my ebs drome is quite interesting in that respect ...they seem to have done all the work in providing a line out that matches the speaker ..ie a matched lineout speaker simulator to that which is coming from the combo.

and adding to that the fact that its probably the highest volume to weight ratio of all bass combos....

it must be worth a look.

ps....it also has a character switch which basically means it emulates the tube breakup we all love ....its ebs ...so obviously its a great sound.

3. Ampeg B-15?

Dont know about the DI out, but it would give you a pretty sweet sound :)

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Exactly - best sounding combo amp out there IMO. It does have a "line out" (or Slave output) on it...which can be plugged into a DI.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    definitely. the last few recording sessions i used a DI from the bass and the sound off the cab and blended the signals. Originally I had it set up bass/pedals/DI/amp but i wasn't getting a good overdrive sound through the DI (couldn't figure out why) so I switched to bass/DI/pedals/amp. The overdriven sound through the b15 was amazing.

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Where are you guys finding these B-15 Amps? Looks like there was a RI made, but that was long ago as well?

Thanks for the recommendations.

7. i got mine on ebay its a 1967. ive heard that the RI doesn't sound the same as the original b15's