1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Combo for practicing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I wonder , what´s for you the best combo for "bedroom practicing" . I own a Ampeg B100R, it´s really great, but without a good active bass and a compressor, it sounds a little bit raw.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I duno what the "best" is, but i have my old crate 25 watt that i bought with my first bass, and its great for playing by myself at home. Just go into your guitar store and look for the cheapest combo that's still louder than your tv.. i think 25 watts is good enough. You're not recording with it so you don't need awesome tone.. just something to hear yourself right? If so, i suggest you just get the cheapest one that works. Oh and its probably a good idea for it to have a headphone jack that works when there's no speaker volume, it'll come in handy.

3. Yeah that´s right, 25W is enough for practice, but i´ve recorded with my combo and i´m happy with the result. Ampeg has great tone. even in bedroom, with good equalization i get great tone ( even at low volume)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I practise over my stereo.
    My homerecording setup is a very old Zoom 9030, which I use as a preamp. You can use anything that gives you a line level signal. From there I go into my computer's Midiman Audiophile soundcard and into my Kenwood hifi amp. You can omit the computer part of course.
    Even with my old cheapo speakers it sounds like going direct in the pult and the studio monitors.
    This setup beats any practice amp I've played yet.
    And I never had probs with the speakers, even with slapping at high volumes.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've been well pleased with my Crate BX-100; it has an awsome solo sound. I also own the SWR Workingman's 10, which I don't like quite as much because it doesn't have the thumping, deep bass that the BX-100's 15" speaker provides (though the WM 10 sounds just plain awesome in a band situation). Though I'm not sure if any of you consider these to be practice amps or not. I've never really liked any amp that has less than 50 watts, and never bought one with any less than 100 watts (my Crate BX-15 was a gift and I really dislike it's tone - no deep bass at all, sounds very overdriven).

6. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Peavey Minx 110 35w combo, and it's really good for practicing alone or even playing along with a guitar. It has plenty of volume and sounds great for it's price. You could probably get one at a pawn shop for around $75-$125, and I know that eBay has 'em all the time. I'd reccommend checking it out. :)

-FSR

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i use my Fender M-80 for a practice amp (well, i use it for everything.) It's has 160 watts and a 115 speaker. It may be a pain in the ass to move (i meed casters or a hand truck.)

If you're lookin' for something else:
    I recomend an ol' Ampeg B-15 tube 115 combo (the one with the pop-out head.) That has such a great tone, and it has good volume. The only problem is it cost a bit more. Tubes cost quite a bit to replace (up to around $80), repairs cost twice as much than a solid state amp, and i've seen the B-15s (non-reissues) from $400-$700.

The B-15 is a (i think) a 40 tube watt (a ****load louder than a SS) 1x15 combo with a head that pops out of the cab.

8. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I practice with an Ampeg B-2. Its great for practicing and giging. Its got a -15db switch on it so it cuts the volume alot for low volume practice.

9. For practise I use an Australian made amp. very reliable and very cheap. It a Jade Hurricane 100watt bass combo. It cost me $800 (that's Australian) and it sounds great, it no Ampeg that's for sure but for bedroom practising or a bass player on a budget go for it. very reliable I had it for 3 years and only had to get it fixed once and it was only a fuse. I loved it so much that I now own the 250 watt head and 4 by 10" quad box as well. I get a great sound out of it. only problem is it's probably not loud enough more like 200watt not 250 like it says

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    first

in my opinion ampeg b 100r is a GREAT amp. much better than others amp out. i don't think that without a good active bass or without a compressor it sounds "raw". this could mean that passive basses sound awful. or a bass player without a compressor isn't good. i have a GOOd tone from ampeg b 100r using passive basses. and i don't like compressors, theay kill the dinamic. the sounds is first of all in your right hand, practice a lot and find the right position of the hand on the string (near neck or near bridge). nothing is more false that active basses sound better than passive ones.

second

the best amp for practive i have tried is hands down the fender bassman 25. absolutely the best. i bought a cheaper combo rated at 30w. it's a korean made one merketed here in italy by EKO. for practicing it sounds really good and loud. not like the fender but good for the price. i have only have to make a little modification. due to not a good manifacturing after a couple of weeks there was a bad vibration inside. i opened the amp and instert in the moving zone a piece of rubber. now it's better than new.

11. It´s your opinion, certainly not mine

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the difference is that i posted the reasons too. not only the opinion.

13. ok you won:)

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    MY OPINION>>>
    I am satisfied with the Hartke Kickback 12. It's 120 Watts and surprisingly good tone controls. The fact that you can tip it back keeps the floor from shaking. It serves as a decent monitor fro small gigs. It has a headphone jack and a direct out. However, it sounds like I'm using a stereo chorus when I play with headphones. I don't know if it's the amp or my bass...

You can get a decent price on one too. Like mine, if you want it ;)

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i was just trying to help you. but if you feel bad practicing with a b100r the problem could be in your ears. or maybe i minunterstood the thread. in the first case try practicing with these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

feelin' better now?

16. Nice stuff. Barroso the problem is not my ears but maybe the passive bass that i have in my bedroom a Yamaha BBN4 , a low quality bass. But i´m happy with the practice sound anyway:) just not perfect

17. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If im taking what you mean by "a bit raw" sounding correctly try a Sans Amp between your bass/ampeg.It will warm things up and add some nice tube sound and many others if you like.Ive got one with my ampeg BA-115 which with the selector switch on 3-5 sounds very simmilar to the amp you have.What you describe is why i chose the BA over the other.On 1,2 I really dont need the SA but it does offer many options for tone shaping.Good luck!

18. Thanks Bernie.

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    dear drop_d, i hope that what i wrote was, if not correct, understood. i'm italian so my english is not so good and sometimes i write in a bad way. honestly i think that we are a little bit exagerated in the search of sound and in the considering basses and amps such as low quality equipment. i'm the first to do this mistake. your bass is not a low quality bass and your amp is not a low quality amp. they are both mass producted with all the ups and downs of the case. before spending more money buying other gear, what i sincerely suggest you to do is: experiment on the knobs of the amp as much as you can. are you sure that you have find the good setup for your ideal sound? how long are you using this bass+ amp solution? do you play only practicing at low volume or do you play even with a band at higher settings? if your problem is the sound whem practicing i understand that it's not so easy to have the same good sound when playing at high volume settings. active electronics are for me good when playing alone because they warm a little bit the sound, but become useful when playing live because the passive bass sound, for my ears (and for my bandmates ears too) is not a cutting tone. i have tried this with different basses and pickups. your equipment could help you in this way: try to play at low volume using the ultra low button on, try to find the best for you eq and start playing with the pickups open at max output. they do the same with the pickup volume down and giving more volume from the amp. you'll have different situations. i say this to you not because i think that the sansamp it not a good piece of gear, it's wonderful, but simply because i find fundamental trying to have the best from our equipment. always. hope it's useful, enjoy!
    marco

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I agree with the second part of barroso's post.

I own the Fender Bassman 25. I A/B'd it with an Ampeg BA112, an SWR WM10, a Hartke Kickback 10 and a Crate of some kind.

Only the Ampeg sounded as good(and it was more versatile with the style switch), the others didn't sound near as good and couldn't reproduce the low B near as well as the Fender.

The 25 watt Fender was also louder than the 50 watt Ampeg and as loud as the WM 10, without all of the distortion that the low notes cause on the WM 10 at high volume.

It was also the cheapest of all of the amps that I tried except the Crate.

It was a no brainer.;)

I've even played a couple of church fellowship gigs with the Fender, running my Sonus Custom fretless 5 through it, in buildings large enought to seat 150-200 people, and had no problems being heard.