Best combo/ Half stack at or under $ 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rapturebass, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    I really need a new amp. I've been playing my 20-watt practice amp w/ my guitarists who have line 6 150 watts and 75 watts. Ive been able to catch up in practice, but there usually on 2-4 volume and im set to around 7-9 volume. So, wats the best combo/ Half stack under $ 500? i play metal, btw. i was thinking this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-310C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480765, but im concerned its not quite portable enough, (not for practice, of course not, but for bringing it anywhere) Ive considered the Ampeg BA210SP, but ppl here seem to not rly enjoy it, and ive also considered the Ampeg BA115HPT, but i like some goodies in my amps. (im 12, i need the goddies i can get in one package. Ive considered Line 6, like the HD150 or 175. how are those? Could they compete w/ my gui****s' amps? Im looking for around 200 watts, give or take. Ive also considered of course the option the building a half stack through the used market, and most of these im gunning for are b-stock. XLR out is a plus, but i can live without one. Thankyou for all your help Talkbass, the fountain of useful and useless knowledge.

:bassist:

2. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    btw, wat about the Peavey Tour TNT/TKOs? they have plenty of power and the website descriptions sound pretty good.

3. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    That amp in your link would probably get the job done. Get a hand truck to go with it, though. Carvin has some nice combos you should look at.

4. Try some of the GK Backline series they arent the best amps and cabs out there but their cheap and sound pretty good as a pair

5. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    bump

6. bgressman82

bgressman82

Mar 5, 2009
    go with carvin, or something used. i would avoid kustoms like they had herpes, and although a lot of people will tell you the gk backline is good, you could get a carvin that (in my opinion) sounds way better for a little more. if you're lucky and can find a used carvin, then you're in business.

7. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    oh wow just a quick search on ebay and it looks really promising. thanks tb.

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I just scored a mint Carvin 600/210 combo for $325. Be patient, keep your eyes open, and something will hit.

9. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    now, this is kind of a noob question, but wattage changes at the differnt ohms, so my question is, how do i change the amount of ohms? is there just a toggle on the back of the head or what?

10. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd go with the $349 (at Zzounds and AMS) 220 watt Ampeg B200R before the BA115.

11. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There is no ohms switch for solid state. Ohms are decided by the ohms of the cab you use. Tube amps can have a switch, but it doesn't affect the wattage.

12. The GK 700RB combos are plenty nice as well.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021