1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Combo or Head/Cab for ~$1,300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by curt basner, May 13, 2006.

1. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hey all,

You have been most kind in responding to a prior thread of mine about the best small/'cheap' bass amplifier.

I've continued to do some research, and have been impressed with the stuff I've read about the Mesa Walkabout and the 1-12 and 1-15 combos. This is no longer in the 'cheap' category, however. I was wondering what folks think might be a good/better/best amp, combo or head/cab setup, in the price range for a new 1-15 combo Mesa Walkabout ($1,300 at the Mesa store in Hollywood). I have to admit that the 300 watt tube preamp head, at 13 pounds, and that passive radiator in both the 12" and 15" cabinets, sounds like a great option for me. However, the price is pretty stiff for a 'little' amp option. Size is important, but tone is paramount.

What would folks consider a better option (if there is one) for something (preferably new) in that price range? For this question, size is not necessarily a consideration. Classic rock would be the primary tones I'm looking for.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. For quite a bit cheaper you could get a mint SWR Silverado Special (2x12). I've never liked a piece of swr equipment until this. I think it sounds better than the Mesa Bass 400+ - Aggie 212 setup I had before it (after Tung Sol tube swap in the swr).

Check one out and I think you'll be surprised.

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    At Bass NW they have a used Ampeg Portaflex 100w all tube 1x15 combo for $1399. It's a killer amp.

4. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Hughes& Kettner Quantum 310! This sounds fantastic for rock, slap and I guess almost everything. It's small and light considering it has 250watts and very well built. I only have a cheap Peavey bass and it sounds great through this amp so I think that this amp with a high end bass would be something like sonic heaven.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Maye G-K 1001RB-II plus Neo212 cabinet. Or, for a warmer vibe, Genz-Benz head with NeoX 212 cabinet. Either way, you'd get huge sound with relatively light weight cabs.

6. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Hey curt.. since your getting that great Vintage Fender Custom bass, you should get a great vintage sounding amp... Go Ampeg SVT3 pro with a 2x10 cab... $1300 should do that with brand new prices.. and if you hunt for good ebay deals, etc.. maybe you can add a second cab.. that's my rig, and I'm playing with a LOUD drummer and still able to cut thru.

Ampeg is to bass amps what Fender is to basses.. you won't be disappointed.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1. This has tone to die for. I wouldn't get one if you are in an excessively loud rock band, but if you have a good PA and keep reasonable volumes, this would be perfect. Other than that I can recommend a Mesa 400+ used or an SVT-II used or a Traynor YBA-200 new. One of those heads paired with either a nice Berg NV series (if you can afford one or find one used somehow) or Ear Candy (don't shoot me) or Avatar cab, or even one of those SWR 12 loaded cabs I have heard sound great.

8. I still like the simple Mesa Scout. 12" is punchy. 15" likes some compression. Keep the preamp running at around 60-70% throttle for a nice tube vibe. Nice and simple eq and tone.

Whats cool about new tech versus dinosaur tech ( when I started) is that the 15" Mesa Scout is just as thunderous as my old Peavey 400, V4B , Tranyor 6X10 rig, back in the day... I found the 12" a bit more to my liking , 10" punchy-like. Mesa said 15 for extended range basses, and a local store ( NON-CHAIN!) had a 15" in. I like it. But, the 12" is decidedly lighter /smaller than the 15", to me anyway. And I haven't had the 15 to 1/2 throttle on the master yet--- plenty of amp for the small venues we play....the smaller 12" would have been more than adequate.. my only regret is not getting an 8 ohm cab.... so I could run a 2X10 or so on the side.