Best Combo Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, Mar 19, 2002.

1. I am just about ready to buy a combo set up. I can spend roughly 1500 to 2000 Cdn. for my future baby and I need some help in making a final decision

Over in this corner we have the SWR red head, up against the David Eden, Ashcroft has some special mention as well as Ampeg. So many options so many choices.

I play Jazz, Blues and some Rock and or Roll. If there are any experienced peoples who can aid me in this monumental money spending spree I would be eternally grateful.
  2. Hi. I would have to go with the Eden Metro. I think it's the best combo out there. I personally don't care much for the SWR Redhead. And I don't think Ampeg makes a combo in that range. But I think Ampeg makes some pretty awesome gear. The Metro is much fuller in the low-mids than the SWR and isn't as bright either. Good luck...
  3. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    I would have to agree with Funkmonkey, the Eden Metro is an great amp all around. If you need more power just add another cab. I use the 210XLT cab which is the same one in the metro. This thing cranks for a 2-10 cab.
  4. Hey Lizzard. Thanks for backing me up. Alot of people on here seem to love SWR. It's good to hear Eden getting more love. You're obviously a man of good taste. :D
  5. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    peavey bam 210!! :p
  6. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    No prob. I am finding that more and more Eden is the only choice for me. I just bought an Eden Time Traveler 1-10 combo for my EUB. I've tried several other highend amps, but I just keep going back to Eden. They are just sooooo choice.
  7. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I stopped using my Eden Nemesis 210P - a great combo, especially for the price - when I got an Epifani T-112 to go with my GK1001RB head. The cab weighs 42 lbs, the head 18lbs, you carry one in each hand, a lot easier than trying to schlub around a 70 lb plus combo.

I play mostly folk and non-headbanger rock, so a 112 is loud enough for me most of the time. A second 112 comes along to loud gigs, or a 410. Separates can be a little more expensive, but I like the flexibility.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    and a bit of Rock and Roll. I have just picked up a new Ashdown combo(ABM C110-300). It is absolutely unreal! It uses Ashdowns 300 watt Bass Magnifier head, going through a 1x10" Celestion driver. The 10" handles almsot anything I can give it. It is truly remarkable. The range of tones you can get out of it is amazing too! It is right in your price range. It does depend on what sound you are looking for though. The Ashdown can give you a warm vintage tone, but also has the capability to give you a clean modern tone as well(that's what I use it for). If you want super clean, Eden or the SWR Super Redhead are great amps too....I just like the way the Ashdown sounds. You don't really need to touch the EQ to get a great sound out of it either.:)
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The only problem is that there are too many excellent choices- Play as many combos as you can
    with YOUR bass & decide-That's important IMO
    as often in a shop, you grab what's on the wall-
    different set-up, EQ, etc. than your axe.

Every mfr. seems to have a sound that's kind of
    unique in a way, so there is no one clear choice.

The Ashdowns are really smooth, the SWR's and Edens are very lively, Ampegs-BIG, G-K not too
    shabby either. Genz-Benz has some choices too,
    as does Roland and EBS. Anyone of these would
    perform well, and sound proportionately as good as your fingers & brain allow!
    I'm sure that this suggestion has been of no use at at all, but have fun!!:cool:
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The Fender Bassman 400 2x10 combo is a great choice as well.
  11. Ankles

Jan 6, 2001
    I just picked up a GK 1001RB210.
    Very pleased with it. Very versatile loud punchy and clear. I play blues and jazz. I also am using a GKrbh115 ext. cab when needed.

As far as the combo I have used it on medium size rooms and it does quite well. Chet it out.

I paid 1200 US$
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's no David Eden btw.
  13. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd say just try alot out. I have a Bam. The Metro is nice to. I've never gotten to play a redhead, so I wouldn't know there.

Or you could go with Demeter Preamp, Carvin poweramp, acme 2x10.
  14. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Here's a vote for either the GK 1001 or 700 210 combos. Very compact, portable, and power to spare. Need more bottom end? Add a compact Bag End 15 cabinet to them. Big sound in a (relatively) small package.
  15. I agree with Ajbassking. And i have to repeat one of my posts here. I have:

ABM 500 EVO 575W
    ABM 410H 650W 4x10'' + horn

and this is what i call WARM TRUE Low tones...
    Equalization is amazing...really wide range.
    And Ashdown sub-harmoniser make me thrills when i'm playing high tones.

I've heard that Ashdown representatives in California are nice, good and trustworthy. And i'm from Poland and situation is the same. Before of sending equipment to me, Ashdown dealer call me up to ask me if he can send amp to me 'coz it has small scratch on the top of it. And he said that he will reduce the price about 25$ (I've said OK then send it to me). Add when i've received it I cant find it :).

All in all I recommend it from the bottom of my heart.

And take a look at this.....sort of oldie ;-) if you want much modern style you can buy rack-mount version. I must add that i'm playing hard sort of's great for any sort of music.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own a Metro. It is top notch IMHO. But you owe it to yourself to check out the Peavey BAM210 combo too. I did. I like it even better than my Metro.
  17. I come in support of the SWR Super Redhead. Do some shopping around though. I was between the SWR and the Eden, and frankly based on A/B-ing them I was not convinced that either was better. The thing that sold me was that the Eden was $2169, the SWR was $2249 on sale for $1800. Shopping around, the ~$2200 prices were typical, so I went with the SWR.

Axe Music in Calgary would be a good place to check out. If they are like the Edmonton store then they carry both SWR and Eden, which is nice for A/B-ing equipment.

If you go to Axe, make sure you try out a Dingwall, if they have any in stock.:D

18. Could you explain, I am not sure what you mean.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Eden is the company. They make David series gear. The big kahuna's name is David Nordschow. There's nobody named David Eden there.
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's what I meant.
    Although I admit it's a cool name.