Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best comobo w/ an aguliar db680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplay4-5, Jan 23, 2006.

1. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    hey everyone i'm looking for a power amp for my aguliar db680 preamp! and idk wether to get an all tube power amp or a hy-bride, or whatever...but i was thinking about a stewart wolrds 1.2 or even the 2.1, but i dont like the in and out jacks as i'd have to split cables to wire it, or the swr power 750, i was gonna get a demeter 300 all tube but thats just to much $$, so im looking for a powerfull power amp the has 1/4'' and speakon jacks and will complment but not shadow the color and natural sound of the aguliar any one have any amps n such if so send my a link w/ it thanxz everyone

2. If you go all tube power, it WILL not be cheap.
    I'd recommend a QSC poweramp.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The best amp to pair up with the DB 680, IMHO, is the DB 728, but they aren't cheap (and are discontinued). The Demeter 300M would also be outstanding, but no, they're not giving them away, either. :smug:

If you want to go solid state, and you already have the cab of your choice, then I would strongly suggest the Crest CA9, or a Crown Macro Tech. Yes, they're heavy, but my ears do prefer them (though others disagree).

If you are also looking for a cab (or at least willing to consider another option), then pairing up the DB 680 with a Bergantino IP212 or IP310 would be a most excellent rig. :D

Tom.

4. You can find the 728 if you take a bit of time and look around everywhere i got mine for i believe 1500 shipped? Not too cheap but my god it is like heaven the sound that comes out of the speakers.

-Vince

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would agree. I have the 680/728 combo and these are made for each other. I recently tested the 680 with a IP310 and was thoroughly impressed. It really gives the 680 a more hifi sound than the 728. It really depends on how you want to sound.

6. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i currently use a db680 and a world 2.1. there are 2 preamp outs on the aggie, so you don't have to split any cable.

7. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i see for cabs imma go w/ accugroove whappo n whappo grande sence i use 8 and 12 string basses im looking for a real hi-fi tone but yet still has "balls" and can be driven really hard if i want a gritty grind tone if ya get what i mean