1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best COMPACT amp for Tone and Volume....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cire113, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Best compact amp for tone and volume spending limit 1,500...

Im looking at the mesa walkabout scout any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it :)

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    TC RH450?

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Your question is far too vague. There will be 100 responses from people who think their tone is the best.

It's like asking "Best breakfast?" You'll get fifty different kinds of egg dishes, waffles, pancakes, or just coffee and a bagel.

Everyone's idea of tone is different. My idea of best tone may be something you hate.

I'm also an RH450 user...

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I was in GC a couple of weeks ago (yeah, I know, but I was bored), and I plugged into a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo amp. Wow! I was blown away at how good it sounded. 300 watts from the Markbass Little Mark II amp into the internal 8-ohm 15" speaker. The combo weighs 46.7 pounds. If you ever needed more oomph, you could add a matching 1x15 cab stacked under it, and you would then have a 500 watt, 2x15 stack that is portable and loud.

I believe the MB Berlin combo amp sells new for $1100 on the GC and Musicians Friend websites.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 docked on the 12T speaker is a wonderful sounding combo. Weighs only about 32 pounds, has a tube preamp and puts out 375W into a well engineered 12" speaker with adjustable horn. Add another speaker to drop it to 4 ohms output and you have 600W. Great combination!

G-B12TwithShuttle6.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Dooood, play a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0 or 6.0, or Shuttle 9.0 before you buy anything!!!!!!!!

7. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    also should i get a combo or head/ cab? does it matter?

8. What type of music are you playing?

9. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Funk, Rock, Blues, jamband...

10. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    If compact I think the RH450 wins! Compressor, tuner and a head in 2 rack space but I'm not a fan of the tone of that head..

I love my F1! Lightweight, really small, punchy, tight, and plug and play type of head!

11. The Mesa Scout is a great head and you really can't go wrong with it.

But...

If you have the chance, I would at least try out an Orange Terror Bass with a decent NEO cab if you want to keep it light weight. I was considering the Mesa, but I went with the Orange TB as the tone was more to my liking and this amp has all the juice I will ever need.

12. Are you talking about combos or heads?
    What size/weight do you describe as compact?

13. I've owned the Scout... very nice if you want a bit of that tube warmth. Not particularly impressed with the Shuttle6/112T rig... nice and small, but it sounds nice and small to me (i.e., brite without a lot of true low end).

The RH450/RS210 rig is nice if you want it very smooth and warm and fat... but it isn't very lightweight. Nice though.

My current 'all time favorite' assuming you want a relatively even, full, deep but clean tone (which could be off the mark) is the Markbass LMIII and the new Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112. Cab is 34 pounds, 4ohms, and the 'freak of nature' driver used can actually use (and really kind of requires) the 500 watts of the LMIII. The price would be well under your $1,500 limit. The closest I've ever achieved to hitting all three of the magic equation: low, small, loud.

Here is a video clip of that rig (so you can see what it looks like also). Quite amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/Kjungbass#p/a/u/2/0WOhxSFoiB4

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    svt/810.

15. And... you could always add another 810 for larger gigs:p