Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best compact-style tuners?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FLEMMERAN, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Im refurbishing a Kramer 710 bass from 1988 (because im a madman) and i was wondering what the best compact/lite-style tuners are. Keep in mind its fretless (if that matters at all).

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    It being fretless doesn't matter at all. As for the tuners, I'll first ask about the diameter of the current holes. But Hipshot makes Ultralites in both of the popular diameters (the larger being for Kluson-style clover-leaf tuners, and the smaller for the Gotoh Y-shaped tuners); as does Schaller. Both are pretty decent tuners, but a full set of each will cost about $100.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    or you can go gotoh and get them for 15 bucks each instead of 20 bucks each.

I love my gotoh's, they stay in tune forever and they're really smooth and accurate.

Greg

4. Gotoh GB7's are $30 for 4 on warmoth.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I like Gotoh -- good quality, reasonable price. I'd like to try a set of the Y tuners from CustomShopParts. At $7 a piece, though, I'm a little skeptical.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The cheaper e-bay tuners are just that they do feel cheap. The gotoh's are just a little more. Very worth the extra in my opinion....t