1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best compound to use

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Billy K, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I got small scratches fro Turtle wax compond on my bass I need something finer to get them out and a good polish for my nitro finish from Fender.The nitro polishes up real nice .

2. There are 2 common turtle wax compounds found in most stores. One is a rubbing compound(rougher grit) the other is a polishing compound(finer grit). I'd follow that with a swirl remover. I prefer to use Meguiar's products. They work very well for me.

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

I love Meguiar products for ultimate shine & filling/hiding of swirl marks. I also have & use Eagle One NanoWax that purports to use much smaller sized wax particles to fill those swirl marks. I have not done a side-by-side of the two, I will say that I'm extremely pleased with the results of the products from either company. As ThaLowEndTheory states, it is more important to make sure whatever brand or product you use, that it is intended to be for used for final shine and/or addressing swirl mark removal rather than harsher rubbing compounds.

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Usually, the rubbing compounds, whether they are Turtle Wax or Dupont, etc. are a reddish brown for the course and white for the fine. I use Meguiar's fine liquid polish to remove the fine haze from the white rubbing compound. The rag you use is also very important. it needs to be very soft flannel.

5. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Commercial User

Nov 21, 2007
    Georgia
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    I use 3m products and have been very pleased with them. I've also read good things on the Meguiar polishes. Everybody has pretty much nailed it on the polish and designated swirl removers. One more thing, be sure that you have a designated cloth or pad for each step. Don't use the same pad/cloth for different steps.
    Joe

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Menzerna Intensive Polish is some really amazing stuff. When applied by hand with a chamois, it can leave a mirror-like surface. I've also used Meguiar polishes with very nice results. But, Intensive Polish will leave a perfect, scratch-free surface. Menzerna is the same company that makes Stew-Mac's buffing compounds.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/High-Gloss-Liquid-Polishing-Compound/H0821

7. they all carry Mqguires in southern oregon(u=yeah you'd think i'd know how to spell it but i'm in a hury to get off of here),,try #2 micro fine or number6 cleaner polish but it has silicone in it,,3M purchased Mcguires last year(or thereabouts),there's a zillion products out there for buffing i'd def go fine(r) even tho' lacquer is old school stuff some compounds don't do well when used by hand(they break down when powerbuffing)

if you can find`clean-cut' it's great and the diamond polish? by Mcqguires is great too,good luck(i have 3 jugs of mickgwires out there polishing a truck,ask me what#,,:confused:,i go by brail:D

8. that's the correct spelling,,there! i'll sleep better tonight knowing the spelling police won't be knocking on my door:cool:

(Diamond Cut Compound 2.0,cuts 1000 grit sandscratches and finishes clean/low swirl,Mirror Glaze line)