1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best compresser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smithbasses, Nov 13, 2010.

1. smithbasses

smithbasses

Apr 6, 2010
    I am looking for a great comp. One that I can turn on or off when I am playing in the middle of a song and one that is clear and wont drity or muddy up my sound. The trouble I am having is when I get the slap sound I want when I go back to playing with my fingers the volume is so low I cant hardly hear it. Suggestion?

Thanks!

2. Never felt the need for a compressor and then i bought the Aguilar TLC compressor...
    Tried it yesterday for the first time at a gig and it was great!
    I dont use it all the time but every song that i thought could need it was great, it added so much consistency and clarity!
    It was also brillient at taming the peaks from some of my other effects!

I would recommend it!

3. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Diamond bass compressor.
    The best stompbox compressor I've tried. I recommend it.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

The search of a decent compressor is probably one of the top 3 questions asked here. If you type compressor in the search box, you're most likely find the information you're looking for. Also, look up fellow TBer Bongomania, he's got a exhaustive compressor review link in his signature. You'll definitely get all you need.

My personal experience with compression is quite limited. I've had a Boss CS-3, switched to an EBS Multi-comp and went back to Boss after realizing that what I missed the sustain provided by the CS-3. If I really want heavy compression, I use the compression knob on my amp (Hartke 5500) which is pretty good for my needs. That set-up works for me, anyway.

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    http://www.ovnilab.com/ - everything you need to know about compressors.

Bongomania has listed his top picks on there. Read up!

6. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The MarkBass Compressore is definitely worth a look.

7. neeltje

neeltje

Jun 1, 2003
    belgium
    I use a dbx 160. great thing and the real classic sound

8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

+1

That's the one I bought after reading Bongo's reviews.

9. I use an MXR Super Comp and am happy with it's work on my board.

10. Read everything that Bongomania has to say.
    I went with the Opto Stomp because he said that it's so transparent and easy to use.

He didn't lie. It's saved my butt many times during recording - the difference between loud & clear and clipped!

11. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I think the EBS Multi band comp is quite nice. Like it better then the compressors found in the Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro. But then, I also like the my Tech 21 BDDI better then the Line6 Bass Pod. Maybe it is due to the digital stuff going on the Line6 compared to the analogue sound out of the EBS comp or the NDDI

12. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    +1000

Based on Bongo's input, I selected the EBS MultiComp, which I love for the clarity, smoothness and detail, and a Durham Sex Drive for compression plus a bit of fur. They're both on my pedalboard and neither one is going anywhere. I can't imagine playing without them.

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    FEA Labs or Dual Band Comp or the Optifet. As good of reviews as the Markbass with a smaller footprint. Sounds great and I especially appreciate the ruggedness and attention to detail.

14. got an effectrode pc-2a in the mail yesterday and i love it so far. bit pricey though.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +2000

This is the compression bible! Read and get good un biased info to help you with your decision

16. I'm happy with my MultiComp and the mode switch is a nice feature.

S.

17. It sounds like the Maxon CP9pro+ might be what you are looking for. It is a very transparent compressor in pedal form which wont muddy up your sound. But as others have suggested, check out ovnilab.com. That's how I found mine.

18. Check out the Seymour Duncan Double Back. I love mine and it sounds great.

19. myetcetera

myetcetera

Apr 23, 2010
    Canada
    I wouldn't say that it's the most transparent compressor that I have tried, but with the dedicated attack and release controls the Emma TransMORGrifier is really flexible and really does a great job.

20. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

Nov 5, 2006
    I went with the Joe Meek Floor Q after reading all of Bongo's reviews. It's awesome.