Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Compressor for bass???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattm0805, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    What is the best compressor for bass? I have used a couple and never been really satisfied. I have used the demeter comp1 it was pretty good. Anybody ever tried the punch factory?

2. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    I'm sold on the PF...only things I've used that I liked better cost 4-5X more!
    Very transparent and easy to set-up...my fave!

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Depends what you're looking for. If you want complete control over the compression dynamics then something like a DBX 1046 or one of the XL series might suit you. Some compressors squash better than others; some are more (or less) transparent. Never tried the Punch Factory but many people here have gave it good reviews.

4. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I'd search the archives. I've used a few "stomp-box" style; some add lots of "color", some are very "clean". It depends on your application (recording and slap come to mind).

Personally, I was looking for more "meat" in my sound back when I was using roundwounds. More specifically, I needed compensation for the EQ I was using to get a flatwound sound out of rounds; all Bass EQ, cut mids/treble. Then I needed a high-pass to avoid being too boomy...:meh:

For me, the solution was a good set of flats and a bit of amp/cabinet modeling in my Line6 Bass PODxt (with a touch of compression and SansAmp simulation).

5. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Bought The Demeter opto Compulator recently. A great little box. I like it alot. Great for Bass.

6. Not to steal the post, but it is realated, so I hope you wont mind. But does anyone know of Ross (not boss) compressors? They're either made, or just modifyed by Analouge Man. Here's a link:

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm

Can these even be used for bass? They're always advertised as being used by guitarist (Trey Anastasio, Doyle Bramhall II). If they can't be used for bass than move on, but if they can, are they any good?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    People, please, use the search function.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Rane DC-24 dual-band compressor/limiter/downward-gate-denoiser/crossover

9. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Electro-Harmonix Black Finger. From what I've heard, it's the shiznit.

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Haven't tried it but I read a few reviews that said it was noisy as hell.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have the Boss CS-3 for my ssk-k-kwished sound, but I'm planning on putting another in my head-loop (GK 700RBII). I'm really diggin' the idea of going with the DC-24, and setting its crossover freq the same as the passive crossover in my JBL JRX125 PA bottom! That would be 2KHz.

What do you set yours for, Greenboy?

Joe

12. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Only among those that I've played through - tie between SpectraSonics 610 and Urei LA4. Both compress like a pushed tube amp.

13. One of the better comps I've found for bass is the Visual Rt. 66, which is a Ross copy. The OD section I don't like so much for bass but it's great for guitars. Like others have already pointed out, it all depends on what you want. It certainly has more coloration than the Art or Aphex comps, neither of which worked for me.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, I use mine in the PA now because I just go out with a V-Bass and a 1-space Peavey DCP-1400X. But when I was using it NON-Biamped I usually set it between 125-250 Hz depending on what kind of tone I wanted (interacting with the other controls including the two gains), and when BIAMPED, usually at 150 as that seemed to suit my cab well.

This kept the bottom end full yet controlled, and the entire range of the bass's neck sounded right with that.

I dunno why you'd set it at the same range as your passive crossover, really - even if I mostly slapped and popped I couldn't see going anywhere near that high.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor FMR RNC Compressor

16. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    RNC is great! but I'm looking for a stomp box comp. The RNC is small enough to fit, I'll have to think about that.

17. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Personally I like the Bass PODxt (which has a few compressors built-in), but for a "best-of-breed" single-purpose stomp-box, the EBS MultiComp seems to be a common favorite.

18. Best? That's very subjective. What are you looking for, or wanting out of a compressor?

I wanted a transparent compressor to tighten-up things when playing slap and funk, but was still musical. I wanted the ability to engage and disengage at will (stomp). I also didn't want half the cost of my amp in a compressor.

I'm very happy with the Punch Factory. It has met my requirements well. IMO, it's much better than my old DBX 166.

Pros:
    1) Can be transparent & musical depending on how one adjusts it.
    2) LED meter built into stomp makes setup a breeze.
    3) True by-pass.

Cons:
    1) Construction: chicklet buttons by input/output jacks can get engaged accidentally. Input/output jacks close together, and soldered to circuit board. Have to remove four screws to change the battery. :(

IMO, the performance of this compressor out-weighs the construction issues. A deal at $139.00. Picked mine up at MF for $99.00 NIB, which IMO is a steal. :)

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What I was thinking is that I use my sk-k-kwish compressor full-time, and the head unit would be more for protection. If I set it to the same freq as the passive PA cab crossover, then I'd be getting a good-part of the advantage of active biamping, with maximum protection for each of my drivers.

I can see the benifits of a 250Hz crossover freq: that's about the highest fundamental freq on the bass neck... it's pretty cool that I'd be garanteed have harmonics-only on the high-side! Now if I decided to use the Rane more for my 'regular' compression, and actually stomp-off the stomp sometimes, then I guess I'd have to go with a lower frequency.

Interesting.

Now I want to try one even more.

Joe

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Depending??

When I tryed one out, I couldn't GET it to sound not-transparent. I had the thing cranked - I mean CRANKED - and I was almost thinking "is this thing even ON?".

I didn't know a compressor could get that transparent with the entire gain-reduction meter lit-up like that!

As I've said: I go for the 'Tony Levin Sk-k-kwish', so even though I was quite amazed, I passed. I figured that when I go with super-transparent like that, it'll be in the head-loop, and be a rack-unit.

Joe