Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best compressor for the money for your rig?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GrooveDude, Feb 17, 2002.

1. I am currently looking at a Berhinger Composer. I have worked with them before, and they are great. Does anyone else have suggestions for me? What are you guys using to compress your sound?

Thanx

B

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been using an EBS multi-comp... a little pricey, but too me it's worth it... you might wanna check 'em out...

Good to see another KC'er on board!

P@

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a Behringer Autocom MDX 1000 that I got second-hand for 30$ (in mint condition).

Works great!
    I use it with the auto setting and the soft-knee mode. Studio-quality sound and no noise.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This is easy. The ART LeVeLAr works great for bass and should only be around $79 new.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the Rane DC-24 Dynamic Controller: isn't cheap, but has lots of features for the money. The feature I like best is split-band compression (processes highs and lows independently).

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at a compressor myself...rackmount or otherwise. My Earthquake tunings (ADGCF, and CGCF, though I'm lookin into CFBE and GCGCF). Something to keep it in check and NOT kill the local fauna...

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use a bellari LA120 tube compressor, works awesome, goes for around 90 bucks.

jason

8. Well guys I went to Mars today and purchased a Behringer Composer Pro (MDX2200)

it works awesome!!! Very easy, and sounds very clean. I love the gate too. It's tough to find the perfect threshold, and ration combo, but I did it.

Anyways.....I reccomend this unit to anyone!!

BTW I payed 106 (including tax) for this thing. it's awesome

heres a pic
    [​IMG]

Out

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hey, GrooveDude, that's a nice effect you've got there! :D

10. Don't hurt me for this...but, what's a compressor and what does it do? I'd like to know that before I go and buy one because everyone says it's good to have....

11. I just use the one built into my Carvin, but I also have an FMR RNC seen here. Best compression I've heard for under a grand.

12. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a small collection of compressors, including an Avalon and vintage La2a....I will second the opinion of the ART Levelar. For the money, it is great. I have two, and use them in my stage rig. It really works fantastic on bass...almost as if that is what they designed it for.
    Tho the EBS is nice too....
    Max

13. Damn straight. Another vote for the RNC - it's such a nice unit, and works equally well for bass or general studio use. And it's small enough that you could mount it on a pedalboard (1/3 wide).

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i have the composer too, works great, nice and quiet.

15. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Retrospec Squeeze Box. Tube compressor/DI in stomp box format that uses the LA2A photo-cell circuit. Just used to to record bass, vocals, trumpet, keys, and guitar. It rules!

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Alesis 3630 I got mine used for $150 Canadian (under $100 US)

17. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I use an Alesis Nano compressor. It is 1/3 the width of a standard rack unit and has everything that can possibly be adjusted for compression. I got mine used in the classifieds for $50. New I think it is around $90. I don't use it often and have never used any other compressor but I have no complaints. Worth checking out.

18. Here's another vote for the Levellar. I got mine for £79 (the dealer thought they had gone bust and was selling all ART stock dirt cheap?!?!). The Levellar is a cinch to use and works wonders on most signals - I've tried it on bass (great for warming up a sound, makes hybrid head sound even more valve-like), vox and guitar.

If you can find one cheap you should snap it up.

The Behringer unit is very good too.

19. i just looked at the price of the behringer composer pro, and in the catalog its $539 autralian.