Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best compressor for under $100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cb56, Aug 21, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I really liked my Alesis nano comp that I bought a few years ago used, but has gotten noisy lately (60 cycle hum?) Any suggestions? If not I'll buy another Alesis. I prefer rack mount but will consider a pedal.

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I really, really like the Alesis 3630
    I don't know what it costs in the US, probably a bit over 100$, but it's a stereo compressor with gate.
    But I've only used it to mix, I haven't used it in my rig (yet).
    Don't know if this advice is useful for you, try one out.

If I'm not mistaken, 60 cycle hum can be solved with proper grounding.

Awesome

EDIT: great deal on musiciansfriend, 99$ + free shipping: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...7090862635/search/g=live/detail/base_id/57780

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm not sure if it is a 60 cycle hum or a buzz with distortion. but it is only there when I use the compressor. I'm not sure how I would change the grounding. I plug it into my rack miounted power strip along with my amp. Those are both stereo compressors, I assume I could just use one channel. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I once heard that if you got 60 cycle hum, you should connect the device to something that's proper grounded to solve the problem, but since it's in a rack, it's already connected to the other devices, so it must be something else. (I never had this problem so I'm just guessing here.)

I know it's a stereo comp but the 3630 is a great compressor (and at musiciansfriend, it's only 10$ more than the nano comp)
    I don't know any single channel compressor, sorry.

Btw, IMO the alesis is much better than the behringer.

Greetz,
    Awesome

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    IME, having used an alesis 3630, a Behringer Composer Pro, and a dbx166, you best bet is the Behringer. I found the Alesis to sound "squishy". the dbx is great, but not really better that the Behringer, not 150$ better anyway. For $100 bucks the Composer is very functional and clean.

6. I use both channels of the stereo compressor.

I use mine "Daisy Chained," i.e., channel one feeds into channel two.

That way channel one compresses the signal lightly and channel two is set to just catch the peaks that sneak through.

You also get double the gain boosting without overdriving either channel.

Stereo Compressor are MUCH more flexable.

7. Don't buy a compressor that will not let you compress the highs and the lows differently. Low frequencies carry allot of energy and your tone will seriously suffer as a result of your unit compressing *everything* when only a small portion of the spectrum is "out of line."
    The compressor on my M2000 is one of the finest I've used. It has a variable frequency knob. It is also a little more than $100. $89 for that Behringer tho'..phew! That is cheap!

8. The Behringer's SC Filter is a HF band pass to prevent Lows from taking over the process.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Donne has educated me on better ways to use equipment I own, thanks man!

10. That's what you want!

11. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    That's a nice feature indeed, maybe you should go with the behringer.
    Although it would be best to try them both.

Greetz,
    Awesome

12. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    once again please excuse my ignorance but what does a compressor do and what is the difference between mono and stereo?

13. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    A compressor reduces the level off high level peaks in your signal, making your overall level louder.

Mono is 1 channel, stereo is 2 channels (1 left and 1 right) which operate together. Most (if not all) compressors can be used as dual mono.

You can probably find a better and more detailed explanation in the amp FAQ-section.
    http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/ (Haven't read this so just ask if you want more info)

Greetz,
    Awesome