1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Compressor Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bezo420, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    I haven't posted here much, but I've posted elsewhere. I figure this is the place for me, considering I am a bassist.

What is the best compressor pedal for a bass? I am using a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone, but I don't feel it is doing the job. I got it for guitar, and it works great for guitar, but I need something for my bass board. What do you guys recommend?

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Teijo K., Stevorebob, SteveCS and 2 others like this.
  3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    EBS

Blue

4. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    There are three pedals very interesting as compressor pedals, the Aguilar TLC, the MXR white one and the Punch Factory.
    Both are nice especially range quality price.
    Cheers. Enrico

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    out of the fourteen different compressor pedals that I currently own, my favorite is the Keeley 4 knob.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I recently played a Blackfinger that had a real nice tone. I hear the Whitefinger compressors are nice too.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I loved my Opto Compulator for a long time, it's a great & simple comp.

If I were buying a new one, it would be the Empress Compressor.

8. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    +1 to the Empress-it is a fantastic compressor.

9. Gord_oh

Gord_oh If it ain't broke, break it then fix it. Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I used several of the compression modes on my Zoom B3 and have been able to pick and choose.
    Also a fan of the Aguilar TLC.

10. Tons of info, as mentioned, at Ovnilab; lots of threads here on TB. You have lots of reading to do amigo!

I've got a Diamond, but have an Empress in my sights...

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    EHX Blackfinger sounded great, but too fragile. The Demeter is great and doesn't color your tone too much...

12. I have owned many of the top pedal compressors today and I'd say for studio quality and a non-coloring sound the nod goes to the Empress. If price is an issue and a non-colored sound is what your looking for it's hard to beat the MXR.

IMO the Agular TLC is a great compressor but the one I bought (and kept) colors the sound a little in the mid range. I love its sound and seamless compression. I'll never let it go. I love putting a warm overdrive ahead of it in the signal chain.

For a fat warm tube tone, the Markbass Compressore was my favorite. Again, it's a studio quality piece with beautiful lows and completely noise free.

I'm a long time compressor user and I understand how to use a full featured compressor. If you don't wish to learn the ins and outs of compression or you're just looking for a simpler compressor your best off to listen to some of the other suggestions here and Ovnilab is a truly valuable resource.

This is all IMHO of course

desert_rain likes this.
  13. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I absolutely adore my FEA Dual Band Optical Compressor/limiter.

14. stevenkidman045

stevenkidman045

Jan 9, 2013
    DigiTech XBS Bass Squeeze Compressor Pedal is the best for use.

15. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

May 11, 2012
    +1 Joemeek Flood Q, can also be used as a Preamp

16. pbass6811

pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'm running the MXR, which is a good, solid compressor, but I'm on the will-call list for an FEA DB-OCL! I'd also give the Empress a go, also...

17. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm planning on picking up a Pigtronix Bass Philosopher Compressor later this month. It seems like it will work well for what I'm going to be using it for (hard southern rock/jam/prog).

18. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    I just mainly wanted to see what you guys were using. The MXR and Empress look good to me. I might do some experimenting soon and see what sticks.

19. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    There is no best of any pedal