1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best compressor???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lauri Lahtinen, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Hi, im thinking of buying a compressor pedal. I plan to use it as an always on pedal. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 and Markbass little mark tube amp. Which of the following would be best?

Darkglass luminal compressor
    Keeley Bassist compressor
    Diamond bass compressor

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Finland, Lauri Lahtinen

patrickj likes this.
  2. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    There is no such thing as "best compressor". What works for you might not for others.

Since you seem new to compressors I would suggest the Keeley because it is very easy to dial in.
    Since you are from Finland I would suggest the Darkglass to support your local economy. ;)
    Since everyone seems to love the Diamond Bass Jr (not a single negative review online!) you should consider it too. The Cali76 from Origin Effects falls into that category as well.

And since money does not seem to be an issue for you (nice gear sir;)), why not buying them all?

a-37, Fuzzbass, Iristone and 8 others like this.
  3. I'd agree with that.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Keeley would be my first choice based on the reviews. It offers user-adjustable threshold and ratio. The price tag won't break the bank, either.

Seeing anything else on the secondhand market?

Riis

jdh3000 and Gearhead17 like this.
  5. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    To me, they all cost almost the same. Only 20$ difference.

Fuzzbass and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I’ll be that guy and say LA-1A. Not on your list but the only piece of gear I’ve ever bought that was a genuine game changer. Even the singer I work with, who admittedly knows nothing about gear, said my bass sounded great when I first used it.

Frumius, HolmeBass, halech54 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lauri Lahtinen

Lauri Lahtinen

Sep 1, 2020
    Hello again, i really like the idea of supporting local companies so i have been eying the Darkglass hyper luminal compressor.
    Does it work well as a always on pedal or is the Diamond bass compressor jr better for that?

8. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    boughton monocomp if you can get one

9. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    That question is not that relevant (all due respect:)), it all depends what sound you want to achieve.
    Many players use their compressor as an always on effect and may switch it off when they feel it is not suited. They might want more emphasis on dynamics on specific occasions for instance, or the compressor may not combine well with other effects.

Out of the 3 models you listed I would suggets the Keeley. All 3 have got good reviews but IMO the Keeley is the easiest in use. Its led metering is very convenient, especially if you are new to compressors. The Darkglass also has this function but it also has 3 types of compression while the Diamond does not have it.
    If you are not happy with it you could sell it quick without losing too much money.

I personally use the Keeley (always on! For Rock/ Funk). My first compressor was the MXR M87 which I was not able to use properly, I did not know how to match attack and sustain. I then tried the Keeley and it was a big relief, I still have and use it! Problem is it got me addicted to compressors, now I have too many of them :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    jdh3000 and ToneMonkey like this.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    For one thing I want the Rothwell Love squeeze and for another I have the Fairfieldcircuitry Accountant.

11. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Keeley Bassist as an always-on transparent compressor, and lately I have been very impressed by the Analogman Juicer; squashy and not transparent at all but sooo very awesome on my Stingray BFR fretless...

jdh3000 likes this.
  12. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Of those listed, and I’ve owned all three, I’d go with the Hyperluminal first and Keeley second. But, my personal favorite after trying a lot of compressors is the FEA DE-CL.

Fuzzbass, red_rhino and onda'bass like this.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Ovnilab Smoothie.

14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    For passive Fender type bass's and if you want simplicity over flexibility(options)....the Diamond is hard to beat IMO. I keep going back to it.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I use a LA-2A clone after an 1176 clone, thus reproducing the classic studio compressor/limiter chain. Though, my tubes are not part of the compressors, but follow in my tube preamp.

nbsipics likes this.
  16. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    This thread is not about what is your favorite compressor but what s the best choice for its author!
    Naming a compressor without either elaborating nor taking into account the questions asked does not help much.

GH van Dijk, red_rhino and db59 like this.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The same OP posted a 'what pedals should I buy' thread earlier this week that has multiple people saying there's no 'best' anything, it's all relative. . There also happens to be a really good resource on compressors that resides pinned to the top of the effects forum that has lots of in depth reviews.

But feel free to try to keep policing the replies of others.

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. CheckBass

CheckBass

May 22, 2020
    Amsterdam
    I knew someone would feel offended haha.
    You look quite scary on your pic so I don't wanna mess with you.
    I'm out! --> []

George Dennis likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021