best compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AbcentMinded, Feb 12, 2006.

1. AbcentMinded

Feb 11, 2006
    hey guys im just wondering what you guys think would be a good compressor in a pedal format.. maybe a boss compressor/sustain or maybe an EBS bass compressor?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Is the moon full or something? How come there's this barrage of people asking "what's the best compressor"?

Not only is there a search function, but there are a couple of active threads in plain sight.
  3. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'll agree hear search tool is a fabulous thing.

But I'd have to go witht the Trace Elliot SMX Dual Band Compressor as my fav./best.
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    It's really a subjective thing as well.

"What's the best chicken wing?" Anchor Bar? Mary's Deli? BJ's Downwind Cafe?
  5. AbcentMinded

Feb 11, 2006
    listen i looked all over the forum and i didnt get what i want.. what would be the best compressor in a pedal format? the boss CS-2 or limiter/enhance.. maybe even the noice supressor.. or the EBS compressor OR something different from all of that
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're not helping yourself here, dude...

Nearly every compressor mentioned in this forum is in pedal format. There are some exceptions, notably the FMR RNC, but the majority discussed are pedals.

A noise suppressor is not a compressor.

The Boss and EBS compressor pedals have been discussed many, many times in this forum.

If you want a simple answer, too bad. Like Ben said, it's very subjective. But FWIW the EBS has a good reputation. Try it, see if it does what you want. They have good resale value on Ebay, so you won't lose much if you decide it wasn't the one for you. I have bought about ten different compressors trying to find the one that worked best for me. I only kept two, but the others were all great in their own way, and it would have been reasonable for any person on the web to point to any one of those compressors and call it "the best" (for them).
  7. the EBS is good, but only goes upto about 4:1 ratio, so if you are looking for heavy compression, look elseware. is it the Aphex punch factorty or something to that effect? gets a bit more squash to it...
  8. The EBS MultiComp is an excellent pedal compressor.
    I've been using it for almost two years and I don't play without it or at least I don't like to because it does add just a slight bit of punchiness to sharply-picked/plucked notes.

I wouldn't use it in the studio though, as it is too loud. Yes, there is a slight decible increase.
    It's perfect for live work.

As bongomania said, taste is subjective. I've only used the EBS so it's the only compressor I can comment on.

Buy it, you might like it.
  9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It's a full moon today, I believe.....

Recomends: Punch Factory
  10. frolkbass

Nov 9, 2005
    I use LMB-3 from Boss. It is the Bass Limiter/Enhancer. It works ok for compression, but I use it mainly for enhancing. for compression I use an Alesis Nanocompressor that is placed with my pedals although it is a rack thing.