1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best compressors for Slap

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Oct 22, 2018.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    The title says it all. Any suggestions out there? Ive been looking at the Aguilar TLC, MXR bass comp, and TLC spectra comp but are these what I SHOULD be looking at?
    I don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for but I'm just looking for recommendations at the moment.
    Thanks

Zbysek likes this.
  2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    you should visit the 'effects' forum....lot of great gurus there..... (Im pretty sure a Mod will move this thread there)

My personal favorite is the old dbx-163x....I still have it and will use it again as I put my bigger system together next year (these days I use the dbx emulator in my Zoom B3 for convenience)...I personally love my 163x because of the simplicity....Also, I use compressors more like a Limiter than a Compressor: I use them to reign in transients, especially for slap bass, and leave it on 100% of the time

Here's a pretty good YouTube demo of a dbx163x

Bassist30 and dralionux like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1) Yeah definitely go to the effects forum.
    2) Darkglass Hyper Luminal
    3) Barring that, Keeley Bassist

RumbleMan3 and Zbysek like this.
  4. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    yeah i accidentally posted this in basses forum guys! this should be moved to effects forum

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Between the listed three, I would pick MXR for slap. Myself, I am using EBS Multicomp in Dual band mode for slap.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  6. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I watched a video on the hyper luminal and looks good

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I've played the Aggie and MXR from the three you mentioned, and I would opt for the MXR for slap in particular. I found it to be pretty transparent in terms of baked in tone (or lack thereof). It's got great metering, it tightens things up a bit and makes the lows and high sound a bit more snappy and crisp, without being brittle or too 'peaky'. I dug it when I wanted a bit more emphasis/sizzle on my attack for fingerstyle playing, and it made slap lines sound very dynamic and gave them some added oomph.

No offense to whoever mentioned it, but I don't know that a month on the market and a couple pick-heavy youtube demos are enough to recommend the HL as a go-to for slap compression. I'm not saying it can't/doesn't sound great for slap - it seems pretty versatile. That said, it's a new $250 compressor from a company that is heavily geared toward metal/hard rock, and the OP asked about compressors well suited for slap that can all be readily found used for under $130.

@RumbleMan3 - You may also want to check out the Keeley Bassist, Seymour Duncan Studio Bass, Diamond BCP-1, and a few other well regarded comps all within that sub-$150 range. This page & this page have TONS of helpful info.

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A comp for slap? If it is a good comp it should do good for all styles. For me the Empress was the one. But you describe it as a tone changer. The Empress isn't that type. The diamond may be something to consider.

Fuzzbass and Tony Rotella like this.
  9. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Im not using it as a tone changer. I dont know how to really describe what im after i will keep searching. i would just like some names provided to help on my hunt

GlassToMouth likes this.
  10. I second the vote for the MXR. It's been my go to slap pedal for a couple years. Like a previous poster mentioned, I also use it as a peak limiter as opposed to constant, tone shaping compression. Very transparent and lack of additional color. Just the way I like it. I recommend a slow attack, fast release, and whichever ratio suits your style of slap. Just watch that input knob. Very wide range of control. Just the smallest turn can drastically change when it engages.

eriky4003 and Zbysek like this.
  11. From what I've read, the Diamond BCP-1 imparts a great tone but the threshold is set at 4 so may not be suitable for slap if you are trying to clamp down on the volume gain in technique change to slap from finger. If testing, you'll want to be listening for this.

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Keeley Bassist
    Darkglass Hyper Luminal in FET
    Smoothie
    FEA DE-CL or DC-CL

Due to the baked in tone and the low ratio I wouldn't choose the Diamond as my first pick for slap.

Zbysek likes this.
  13. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    SpectraComp will basically do anything any other pedal can do, and more. I wholeheartedly suggest it, especially if you're willing to tinker with its many settings.

Bassist30 likes this.
  14. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

raal and Zbysek like this.