Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best compromise betw. sound and portability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I hope this is a topic of general interest (at least for the 'older' ones of us [​IMG]):
    Which setup (combo, stack, wich cabs?) is in your opinion the best compromise between tremendous sound and good portability? Total power handling say at least 300W, and one should be able to handle each piece alone (also if there are some stairs) without the muscles of Schwarzenegger.
    So what do you use? What are you dreamin' of?

I'm curious!
    Matthias

(You can call me 'Mr. Cabquestions' ;))

[Edited by Matthias on 08-10-2000 at 04:00 AM]

2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I think that for portability nothing can beat a stack. One amp head and some small cabs like 2*10 and 1*15.

My new rig:
    amp: SWR Mo' Bass
    cab's: 2* SWR Goliath Jr 2*10
    1* SWR Son of Bertha 1*15

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Since I started playing through my Eden WT-300 and D210XLT, my breath smells like canteloupe and my feet smell like french toast. It's just that good.

4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Combo does not equal portability! Several years ago I bought a Peavy combo 115 without lifting it. After the sale, the salesman said "good-luck", when I tried to pick it-up I realized what he ment. 90ish lbs, 3 1/2 ft. x 3 1/2 ft. x 1 ft. , top-heavy with only a wimpy strap on top for "carrying." This thing is truly scary on steps! Sometime in the near future I'll be going to a simple rack pre+power amp/ with (2) SMALL cabs.

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Speedbird (edited July 27, 2000).]

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    bird...

Been there done that... If you put handles on the side of the combo 300, it gives you more control as you ride down the steps.

ouch,
    jc

[This message has been edited by Rockinjc (edited July 27, 2000).]

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Did the same to my Combo 115 -- the side handles. But it was still a buttbuster. Eventually got rid of it and bought a racked head and a couple cabs.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You may want to give some thought to the Euphonic Audio 2x8 or 2x10. Pretty portable and amazing sounding cabinets. And they do go WAY low!

8. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    I have a Gallien Kreuger 700RB, 2x10 combo. 60+- lbs, and a retractable luggage handle so that you can wheel it easily. 275 watts, or 350 with extension cab.

Great amp, plenty of punch!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Bone

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your comments, please keep it coming!

Matthias

BTW: As some of you already know, I'm leaning towards either a 115 and 210 stack or a single 212 cab.

10. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I use an Eden Highwayman,and a custom 4X10 cab. "Custom" as i built it myself. Got 4 eminence 10" drivers,(almost the same as Eden use),designed it as small as possible,made sure it fit in the backseat of the car,used bracing so i could keep the panels thin, covered it in carpet. End result:awesome sound, just light enough to transport relatively easily( around 80 pounds)!
    My rig is probably the most versatile, as it copes well with my lowb string, but also really sharp.

Pedro

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    This is a topic that's close to my heart because I'm one of those "older" guys you refer to and I play in a band that gigs an average of 4 times a month.That means I have to drag around my gear to a lot of venues.I picked my rig with two things in mind:
    (1) That it gives me the sound I want in small and large venues
    (2) It's portable enough that its not TOO cumbersome to move around

My choice - an Eden WT-500 head and Eden D410XLT cabinet.

The cabinet fits easily into the back seat of my car.It has casters so I just roll it around. Stairs are a bit of a pain but the offset handles make it easy for me to move it by myself. On stage it takes up little real estate - slightly more than a 210. Height doesn't matter much on stage..it's floor space that counts.

Its also as easy as a combo to set up. The WT-500 is permanently housed in one of those fabric covered rack mount cases thats lets me leave the cables plugged in when not in use. So I just unzip the two ends plug in the power, plug in the cabinet and play.
    I find that most 210 combos are no less cumbersome than my rig.And since I prefer the sound of the 410 over a 210 or even a 210 with a 115 I never have to worry about dragging an extra cabinet to our larger gigs.
    Nor do I have to worry about buying an extra cabinet.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I must say, I have the ultimate rig for power, sound and portability.

Walter Woods head
    Epifani T-112 (1x12 and a horn)

Mike

13. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
  14. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I mentioned in the thread about EA cabs that they must be the ultimate in terms of the best compromise between sound and portability. See the review in Guitarist for more details :
    http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=1161

As to amp heads - I go with the Eden WT-300 - only about 14lbs and with an EA VL-208, to me is the ultimate portable package and loud enough to compete with most drummers!