best concept album of all time

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I am listening to Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime for the zillionth time,and so I wondered:what are your favorite CONCEPT albums?Mine is obviously Operation,followed very closely by Dream Theater's Metropolis Part II:Scenes From A Memory...I should probably add Iron Maiden's Seventh Son here,but it's not a concept with a storyline,but rather an album with a common theme.Anyone?
  2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The Wall- Pink Floyd
  3. Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band...first concept album ever.
  4. Yes!
  5. Motor Booty Affair- Parliament Funkadelic

"An underwater opera" - George Clinton

Check out Bootsy Collins playing slammin' basslines all over this disc
  6. quaddrawhateahh by the who

i can't spell it but i love it, i was going to say tommy just because i can spell it but i like the othe one better
  7. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, to back up Dragonlord, I must say : Operation Mindcrime and Seventh Son of a Seventh SOn.
    I still listen to those and I'm amazed each time how good they are. Especially the Queensrÿche one.
    Have you ever seen the video of Operation:mindcrime Live ?
    Simply amazing ...
  8. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    King Diamond - Abigail.

Has the perfect horror story line and the music is ingenius.
  9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've listened to a few tracks from Operation:Livecrime though,and I have to say that I prefer the studio version.For example,in The Mission...Tate sings this one great live too,but it just can't match his unbelievable studio least IMHO.
  10. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    YOu are right, the Livecrime vocals aren't as astounished as on the album but the overall quality is excellent (especially "Sister Mary" with the opera singer who recorded it).
    I saw the 'Ryche live once but it was during the Empire Tour so they didn't perform all my fav' songs from Operation:Mindcrime but they were very good. Geoff Tate is quite a performer.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

Tales From Topographic Oceans.

One of the most innovative albums ever (IMO). Won several "worst album of all time" awards - any musician would unequivocally disagree.
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The Dark Side of the Moon. If that is considered a concept album.
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree with joe nerve about tales - one of the more influnential yes albums on me and my band.

i would say that my favorite concept album of all time would have to be quadraphenia, although i really dig mindcrime (saw them 2x on that tour, opening for def leppard and metallica), fates warning's pleasant shade of gray is pretty cool, although their singers lamenting gets on my nerves after a while.

and of course i love pretty much anything from pink floyd - still listen to animals a few times every month.

although i am a pretty big dream theater fan and have been since i got day and dream in '90, i wasn't too knocked out by scenes from a memory. i think my biggest problem with them ever since awake is that their albums has sucked, imo.

still, they're one of my favorite bands, regardless.
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Dream Theater is pretty cool. They just need to crank up the bass. I have one of their videos and you have to strain to hear the bass.
  15. "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" by Genesis. I just started listening to this again in the last few weeks, a wonderful little album (cd).
    And I have to put in a vote for Yes's "Tales..."
    And what about "Relayer"?
    Would "Sheik Yerbouti" count? Weren't all FZ albums "concept" albums?
  16. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    1)Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime
    2)Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory
    4)Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    5)Savatage-Wake of Megellan
    6)Pink Floyd-The Wall
  17. Ultimately, Pink Floyd's 'The Wall.'
    I would submit that this is the most perfect rock album ever recorded, in every facet. Perfect sound, perfect performances, great lyrics and concept..and it carries fantastically even as a double-album!

Tight runners up--Sgt. Pepper, Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans, and Rush-2112.
  18. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I'd have to say The Wall is the best concept album I've ever heard, and one of the best albums. Another one I like is The Who Sell Out, the concept being that the album is playing on pirate radio, with ads and jingles between each song. All together now...

"Tie your group together, with Rotosound Strings!" :D
  19. ELo "Eldorado"
    Eagles "Desprado"
    ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" & "Tarkus"
    Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds"
    Zappa "Joe's Garage"

Oldies but goodies.
  20. Some Good Replies here, but for Total Concept Albums
    (Not mini-sagas) I would have to go with:
    1) The Wall
    2)Lamb Lies Down-Took me quite awhile to understand this one!
    3)Quadrophenia- The Who
    4) Tommy- Same
    5)I would say Tales FTO, but I keep falling alseep listening to it...

How about worst concept Album?
    My vote goes to "Music from the Elder" -KISS