Best Concert DVD for a Bassist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThumbyAche, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Just got some new DVD's for Christmas and Robben Ford "Live In Paris" is very cool. If you want to hear how good a bass can sound live as well as Jimmy Earl's solo on "Help the Poor" then get this one. My other favorite is Ben Harper "Live at the Hollywood Bowl". Anybody have any other favorites? I love watching good concerts.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Screaming Headless Torsos' 2-DVD set.
  3. the Police - Syncronicity Concert
  4. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Yah, I actually got the Police DVD for Christmas too and I really like it. My collection is kind of crazy with DVD's and I sometimes feel like I watch more than I actually play...well it's close anyways. I really wish they would release Pink Floyd's "Delicate Sound of Thunder" on DVD, Guy Pratt kicks on that for sure.
  5. Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    I agree wholeheartedly. There's nothing like popping in a live concert DVD and turning up the volume on the stereo. Some of my favorites:

Rush---Exit Stage Left (Highly cherished cuz I don't think it's widely available but they are planning on releasing it domestically in 2006)

Kazumi Watanabe---Live in Japan (Jeff Berlin on bass, excellent audio, and some SICK guitar soloing)

Gentle Giant---Giant On the Box (This band is underratedunderratedunderratred and so is Ray Shulman, the bassist)

Yes---Symphonic Live (Squire and the Rickenbacker)

Branford Marsalis---A Love Supreme (When Eric Revis takes his solos you'll be reaching for the volume on the remote, even if you can already hear the bass clearly, and then the paint will proceed to chip from your walls...awesome)

Mstislav Rostropovich---Bach Cello Suites (Christmas present to myself. Be prepared to have your jaw drop to the floor as you gaze and listen in rapt attention to this master musician. He also provides his philosophies on music, art, creation etc. very enriching).
  6. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Dream Theater - Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York (outstanding tone/playing, amazing music, and great extras)

Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won (JPJ at the top of his game)
  7. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I might check out the Zep one because I love JPJ. I have alot of Rush too and everytime I watch them I am reminded of how good Geddy actually is. Sometimes you tend to forget Geddy's and JPJ's with all the Wooten's and such running around funkin' everything up..actually I love Wooten and have alot of his stuff too. :bassist:
  8. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Gov't Mule - The Deepest End

this consists of 2 CD's and a DVD.....a few of the bassists on the DVD are Victon Wooten, George Porter Jr., Jack Casady, Jason Newstead, Mike Gordon, Dave Schools, Les Claypool, Will Lee, Roger Glover, etc....
  9. ThumbyAche

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Good call, that is a good DVD!
  10. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Basswize it'd have t' be.... Herbie Hancock - Future2Future

Matt Garrison TEARS IT UP!
  11. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    The new R30 from Rush. Much better mix than Rush in Rio.
  12. Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Im surprised noone mentioned Primus' Hallucino-Genetics DVD. the entire dvd is just redicoulous, and Les Claypool is spot on.
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Some great ones mentioned so far.
    Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:
    YES - "Keys To Ascension".
    Weather Report - "Young And Fine Live".
    The Who - "Isle Of Wight".
  14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Bela Fleck And The Flecktones Live At The Quick. Terrific concert!
  15. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    the song remains the same! :bassist:
  16. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    primus hallucino-genetics
    it has 2 parts, 1st is a regular set, then 2nd set is the album"frizzle fry" played in it's entirety
  17. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Every fan of the 12-string bass should check
    Cheap Trick's "Music For Hangovers"
  18. Thanks for the info, I gotta get that one...
  19. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Reviving this to recommend Prince Live in Las Vegas. . . Rhonda and John B. at their best! :bassist: Oh, and Prince is pretty good too. . . :eek: Supremely funky.
  20. splodge

May 14, 2006
    no one mentioned Billy Sheehan ???