Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best conditions for a bass room

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by natrab, Aug 24, 2005.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's the deal. My new place has a basement. Cement walls and dirt on the other sides. It's very clean, and didn't seem dank at all. My question is if this is a good place to keep my basses. I worry that during the winter it may get wet down there, but for now it seems ok.

Anyone else keep their basses in a basement?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mine are currently in a hyperbaric chamber...since I found out that my warranty on my new bass is void if I deviate from 40% humidity.

Bah.

3. :rolleyes:

I'm sure thats one tough as nails bass guitar. Are you not allowed to sweat on it, either?

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yup. I have a finished area that I made into a "music" section. Carpet, painted plaster walls and wood panel. I had a problem with some dampness is a workshop section that I have, and in the finished area I did notice some light condesation on the bass hardware. So I just got a dehumidifier and haven't had a problem since. Just make sure you get one big enough for the area you're putting it in.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yeah.

That was my reaction too.

Unfortunately, at 60% there were some negative effects.

6. Mine are in the basement when not at a gig.
    They have been for years, and no ill effects.
    I just keep them in the hard cases when not playing them.

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Mine reside in the basement too, all sitting in guitar stands. I don't have any issues except some neck movement when I take them out of the basement to play but I'm not anal enough that I care. Simply retune and go, my intonation doesn't need to be spot on.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My basement is fine, no real adverse affects.

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I suppose that as long as the humidity doesn't vary all that much, they'll be fine. Now if you leave them in their cases, will that shield them from changing humidity outside?

10. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I live in a desert where humidity doesn't exist. :cool:

11. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've gotta buck the trend here. I would NEVER leave equipment I cared about in a basement.

Near bare dirt? Heck no. Dust....

You know that musty basement smell? That's mold and mildew, and it happens even in relatively dry basements. If you go down there, take a good deep breath and if it smells like it does upstairs, maybe you won't have a problem. But if you sense a change in humidity when you go downstairs or it smells damp and funky, I'd keep my basses elsewhere if I were you.

Caveat...I live in the Northeast, where it's hot and very humid in the summer and wet/cold in the winter. I also have always lived in old houses. YMMV...maybe you live in a brand new house in a very dry climate (I don't know beans about the weather in Santa Cruz).

The rule of thumb I've always used is that if the conditions are such that I'd be comfortable, my bass will be happy too. I know I wouldn't want to spend all my time in my basement. :ninja: :bag:

12. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    well i used to keep my bass in the basement all the time. It was at my mom's house in New York City. It was a really nice basementand also a room specially made to be dry for storage of things which is where i kept my bass over the winter or when I wasnt there for a while. I go to school in CT so I know longer have access but it was great and probably better than keeping my bass in my little room. Also down ther practicing wouldnt annoy anyone. But with a dirt floor...I wouldnt go for it

13. I think he means that there is dirt on the other side of the walls, outside of the basement

14. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Well, if there *weren't* dirt on the outside of the walls, it wouldn't be a basement, would it? It'd be the first floor....

:)

Anything underground is going to be cooler, and therefore more humid, than what's above ground. Simple fact...middle school science class stuff.

The question is, HOW humid does it get? Enough to make it musty? There doesn't have to be standing water in the basement to make it unsuitable for storing valuable posessions.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Go to yer local hardware store, buy one of those little digital thermometer/humidity guages (I bought one for about 10 bucks) and leave it in the room you're thinking about using for about a week, and check it several times a day to see what range you're looking at.

I'm assuming you're talking about a finished basement, not a dirt/cement floor, cobweb filled, junk piled basement.

Then, if you need, go and buy a dehumidifier...I bought one for about 130 bucks that has a digital control that you can set for the right level and let it do its thing...

I happen to have a spare bedroom that we use for storage that I've set mine up in and it holds my 1 bass that seems to have humidity issues...the other 4 are perfectly happy in the outside world.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    As I said, I use one in my basement and it's a must. You will most likely notice a difference within 24 hours, even in just the quality of the air.