1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Contact Cleaner for Bass guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hossainx, Mar 30, 2013.

1. hossainx

hossainx

Mar 30, 2013
    Bangladesh
    Which contact cleaner is best for musical instrument? I've used "Philips contact cleaner" for last 5 years on my BASS guitar's bridge just to prevent stained/rust. It is locally available in musical stores in our country. But now the problem is The "new batch" of Philips contract cleaner isn't working properly. last one was more oily and mix of spirit... but new batch is not oily at all... it's more like mix of water and spirit and the smell isn't same. Can anyone suggest me a new brand or anything which will prevent stained.

I am extremely Sorry if it is not the right place to ask this question. Im new here :)

2. Brocbass

Brocbass

Dec 24, 2012
    Sicklerville NJ
    Deoxit it's at GC

3. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Deoxit D5.

I've never heard of anyone putting it on their bridge, It is normally used to clean volume and tone potentiometers.

It's not cheap, but you can't go wrong with Deoxit D5.

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    +1 on Deoxit. It's what I've used for a long time. It works and lasts a long time.

5. hossainx

hossainx

Mar 30, 2013
    Bangladesh
    Thank you for the info . I don't know whether I'll find it in the local market and it's expensive too :(

I actually don't use it on the bridge... just the rusty parts in the attached picture. The weather is not good at rainy season if I don't use it then those parts will get rusty

Attached Files:

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I'd clean the parts and just use light oil on them. But let me note that oiling saddle screws can cause them to start lowering themselves when you play! (I had a bass like that and had to put locktite on the screws to stop it).

For removing rust I just use a tiny wire brush and automotive de-rust products. People seem to love WD-40 to protect parts from rusting. It is supposed to clean rust, but I had an oil can full of WD 40 and it rusted like mad inside. Apparently the WD-40 forumula is designed to draw out moisture and it drew it right into the can and rusted it! NOT what you want on a bridge. Hence, light oil!

Deoxit is great stuff but really is for electrical contacts and pots. I'm not sure it would work well on metal parts.

One other answer is to try to find stainless steel screws. I had the screws holding my pickguard rust like mad from the bass being in the basement. I just replaced them all with stainless steel and problem was ended. But finding those tiny bridge screws in stainless steel may be quite difficult even online.