Best contemporary bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yawnsie, Mar 7, 2001.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    As usual, there have been posts recently berating the quality of modern music, and in general the standard of bassists. Think of the likes of Fieldy (and no, I don't want this to turn into another anti-Fieldy thread!) who are now percieved as the archetypal bass player in the year 2001 (A bass odyssey? I think not!*) Who do you think is the best bassist to have emerged in the past ten years, and is he/her comparable to past bassists?

*We apologise for the awfulness of this pun. The person responsible has had their P-Bass exchanged for a Rogue.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my vote would be for adam nitti...any of you guys dig??
  3. I think the guy from mudvayne is pretty damn good.
  4. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Tony kanal - without a doubt. There are many but he specifically is a big influence on my playing.
  5. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    moonraker you dig kanal don't you?he is tight.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Benny not sure if i spelled his name right, but he jams with santana.
  7. very good choice. i just relistened to my "supernatural" cd, and rietveld is really amazing. as far as bassists you'll hear on modern popular radio, which i guess you mean, i'd have to say...

for his versatile skills, and singular great tone.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My vote for the 'new entries':

Adam Nitti and Ray Riendeau
  9. Best? I like many, equally. Caron, Nitti, Haslip, Willis, Bailey, (ok, so they haven't all emerged within the past 10 -yrs) and the list goes on. There really is no such thing as the "best contemporary bassist' (IMHO) - merely "The Contemporary Bassist YOU Like Best" . I like Nitti very much. As to Riendeau, I think he is quite talented, but I can only handle so much slappin'-n-pluckin' before all the tunes start to sound the same :).
  10. How about Traa from P.O.D.? I saw those guys a while ago right before they got a bit bigger. They played in our local venue, the Ranchbowl. On one side it is a bowling alley, and on the other side there is a stage with PA and all that. He had his Warwick, playing through his eden stack. The venue isnt that small, and they really have some pretty large p.a., and I think that he played un miked. It is really neat to se 8 10 inch speakers moving. Any ways, I was really impressed with his ability as a bass player. I think that most of his bass lines are pretty nice and fit well into the mix.
  11. jim, good choice! =) and he plays warwick, as does ryknow from mudvayne and mr. lance from incubus.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I forgot Bill 'The Buddha' Dickens, Jan-Olof Strandberg and Matthew Garrison...
  13. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    It's good to see some recognition of Traa , he is a tight bass player but does'nt get much attention. It has his set up on
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Steffan Lessard for me! Cant get a better tone than that! Plus he is a hell of a bass player! Just sit down and try to figure out a few of hes songs!
  15. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Jaco only needed a 4-stringer!
  16. les claypool. he is simply the best contemporary artist. jaco pastorious is the best ever. whoever said that the bassist from mudvayne is good pbviosly hasnt heard very many bass players.
  17. I absolutley agree with macool. Les claypool is the man. Not just because hes talented but because hes original and unique in the world bass. I also have to say P-Nut aswell, even though Im not too into 5 strings.