Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best cordless telephone. or the Vtech customer support people smoke crack.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 19, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I bought a V tech 5.8 gHz phone. The sound, while sort of tinny, was flawlessly clear. After the warranty expired, it began to randomly shut off, with no apparent connection to the battery charge state. I called V tech to ask them if this could be a symptom of an ailing battery, or if I needed a new handset. this phone allows multiple handsets for the same base. after asking me such technical brain busters like, " is it plugged in" and, " are the cords tangled" the woman finally said, " I regret to inform you, Mr. Ryan, but you need a new phone. We can offer you a discount on one, would you like the same model"?

I replied, "no"

tech support, "we have an excellent deal on it"

Me "Ok, what is it"

tech support "$100"

Me "I can get a new base and handset for $80 at any store"

tech support "this one has a year warranty"

Me "so did the other one"

Me "how much for just an extension handset, as the base still works perfectly?"

tech support "you can't buy a handset, you need to buy the whole thing"

Me "tell me why that's not stupid and I'll buy six of them" :rollno:

Me "goodbye"

anyway, I need a phone and NOT a V-wreck. any suggestions? there are SO MANY phones I'm feeling lazy and want anecdotal stories before I actually look up particular models.

EDIT: I run an 802.11G network in my house, so none of those older ones that interfere with that would be any good.

2. I have a RadioShack 2.4 GHz model, and it also sucks. Interference even when I'm like 4 feet from the base. I know that doesn't help you pick one, but at least it gives you one more to avoid.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Good to know, thanks!

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I have a GE phone that I got at Target for $20.00. Its a 2.4 GHz and I've never had any problems with clairy in the 6+ months I've owned it.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    2.4 GHz is noisy. Your microwave is a common household source of interference in this range. WiFi 802.11b wireless also uses this spectrum. Just some food for thought.

6. i've a lucent technologies phone that i've had since 1998 and it still works, though not particularly well anymore. my in-laws have a panasonic that they've had for at least four years and it still works perfectly. i would feel very comfortable with panasonic for just about anything.

robb.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I bought a V-tech 900Mhz phone and it sucked so bad I took it back the next day and went back to my clunky and unstylish Uniden, which sounds fine and has a massive range.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We bought the Uniden 5.8Ghz cordless since we also have wireless in our house. We have had no issues with it at all. Always clear, and the battery stays charged for a long time. :D

Previous to the Uniden, we used a Panasonic with zero problems. I would have bought another one, but a 5.8Ghz Panasonic was not for sale anywhere I looked.

-Mike

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I worked for Radioshack for WAY too long, so I think I can be of some help.

First of all, 2.4 GHz and the such are known to have interference around computers and microwaves. I would not try to use them while close to any of these type of things. Secondly, you CAN purchase just an extension handset and program it to be used on the base. VTECH most likely told you you could not do this because if they are anything like they were a few years ago, their phone reps get commission bonuses if they 'upgrade' you to a full phone system, add a warranty etc.

Your problem is definitely not a battery problem, so it does sound like you need a new phone. Most of the phones, even though different models are manufactured by the same company, ie: if you buy a radioshack phone Uniden manufactures them and then sticks the radioshack logo on.

If you were having no problems with interference with the 5.8 GHz before it started fail, I would just buy another one on that same frequency. The different frequencies have different interference issues, so it's more of an issue of finding WHICH works for your home. Once you do, you'll be fine to buy almost any brand of phone and have it work fine. I'd go for either Panasonic, Uniden or a Sony.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks all, looks like a Panasonic for me. I've had a panasonic clock radio for a decade actually, it's survived many a ham fisted slap at the snooze button.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Add me to the list of people who've had problems with V-Tech.

I got a Uniden 5.8 GHz DSS a couple of months ago and it's great!

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 for panasonic here. I've had my 2.4 for 4 years now without a problem (except that I broke the antenna off. it still works fine though :p). They also have great customer support.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know that Consumer Reports is not the God of products but for what it's worth their highest rated cordless phone is a Panasonic. They also rated it a "CR Best Buy." The 2nd and 3rd were GE and Bell South. They didn't rate many 5.8ghz phones because I'm guessing those were not as common at the time of the rating.

brad cook

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have a Bang and Olufsen DECT phone that is simply superb. It was very expensive though :(

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, I bought a Uniden. It is a 5.8 that came with two phones, on sale for 2/3 it's normal price. In 20hrs. the initial charge will be complete, I'll let you guys know how it works. thanks for all the input!

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sounds like a vanity purchase if there ever was one. :bag:

brad cook

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just got a good deal at Sam's on a pair of Uniden's with built in answering machine. They seem great so far.

brad cook

18. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Surprise present for my wife. It was somewhat extravagant but damn it's a cool phone. :cool: :D

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll have to google it, never seen one.

Brad, good to hear your Unidens work well.

20. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    No need, my good man. It looks like this.