Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best core wood to sandwich between ebony?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Walnut

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Mahogany

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What in your personal opinion would be a better core wood to sandwich between striped ebony with a cocobolo center block, Mahogany or Walnut? I'm a fingerstyle, slap and taping :spit:kind of guy, so of course what would bring these styles out more between the 2?:confused: Thanx for any and all help guys.;)

Edit- due to Wise A$* Proffesor.:D :bawl:

2. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I'd choose walnut, but thats only becuase I prefer the tonal qualities of walnut over mohagany. I think Mohangany is too warm for slap IMO.

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I'd use walnut....

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From the context, I'd guess you're looking at neck materials. If so, how many laminates total? Neck-thru vs. bolt on? Who's building?

Can you be more specific in what you're looking for answers to?

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually I meant as a body core wood sandwiched between the ebony. Neck Thru, D. huff, 4 string fretted. I'm wondering which would be a more up front and better sounding wood sandwiched between the striped ebony which I just purchased and shipped to Darrin. :cool: Sorry if I was'nt too clear.....Its early:bawl:. I think Walnut is probably what I'm looking for but was curious as to what other people thought of Mahogany in comparison to it.

6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    actually it is a set neck....

The neck is Bubinga, with Walnut outer stripes, and an ebony board.

He is wondering about body core wood. I suggested Walnut as well, but this is a great forum to get a wide variety of suggestions.

Darrin

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    uuhhhh...hehehe. Hi Darrin...uh yeah, set neck....um...thats what I said:p :meh: . Well fellas thats the jist of it. Thanx again. I think Walnuts the way to go since thats Darrins feelings on it and it seems to be the general conscensus(?) here.:D

8. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Be careful with that "Taping"... sometimes the tape get's your bass all sticky. :p

9. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Edit- due to Wise A$$ Proffesor. :bawl::p

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have Mahogany cores on my Smith basses, and I think it sounds great for slapping and tapping. Personally, I think the fingerboard wood will probobly have a bigger difference in the sound, but that just my opinion. I have one Smith with a Bubinga front and back and Mac Ebony board, and the other is Cocobolo with a Morado board. The Ebony board is more articulate anf therefore the one that I tend to use for tapping parts. As far as Mahogany goes, I believe Victor Wootens Fodera's have a Mahogany body, and I think his sound is awsome. For what it's worth, I spoke with Ken Smith on this subject, and he now is recommending Walnut cores with his Cocobolo basses because he feels the Walnut aids in a better midrange sound. I guess either core would not be a bad choice, but my vote would go with the Mahogany.

11. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Sorry, The Former Mrs X was an english teacher... Try living with that :p :rolleyes: :p

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I vote for mahogany. However, IMO, sandwiched between Ebony and Cocobolo will probaby make minimal difference. I don't think Mahogany and Walnut are all that far apart to begin with.

13. I voted mahogany, mostly because I've had lots of mahogany basses and like the way it sounds. I have lots less experience (zero) with walnut as a body wood.

However, with a very hard facing like ebony, and an ebony board on top of that, it might be really interesting paired with a very soft, resonant core like Spanish cedar. Just a thought.

Mike

14. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I chose mahogany.

I am currently building a fretless with mahogany core and an ebony top and back with some very thin maple in between to give it some contrast.

Ebony is a very bright sounding wood and since mine is going to have a maple neck as well, the mahogany will mellow it out nicely.