Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best crappy little combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c-ba55, Feb 28, 2005.

1. There seem to be a bunch of combo amps that are under $200. Fender, GK, Behringer, Drive, Rogue, Traynor, Crate, Gorilla, Peavey, Brand X, SWR.

Do any of them not suck?

2. sime

sime

Feb 27, 2005
    well, i would say what do you mean by suck? obviously any little $200 combo is ment for bedroom playing, and nothing more. as such i think they are well suited for just that, getting a sound out so you can practice without annoying the family/neighbours. obviously all little, cheap combo amps are lacking in tone and volume. but they do have a place.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Avoid any little combo with a tweeter. My virtual $.02 worth.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i played this little 15" or 10" ibanez combo. it honestly wasnt half bad when i played lightly.

5. By not suck, I mean produce a generally pleasing sound at a non-trivial volume.

I'd like to cheaply augment my upright volume. I don't need to preserve the sound of my bass, since the bass is crap in the first place. I would though like to degrade it as little as possible, get that volume, haev something easy to carry around, and not spend much money. I know the gear I would buy if I wanted to spend $500-$1000, but I don't want to spend that, and am wondering if there's anything decent in the lower ranges of bass amps. Maybe even extend up to $300, with the expectation that I could find one for $200 used.

6. Kickback 12. $300 or a bit less every now & then(paid $250 for mine). I consider it a tad heavy, but I'm a wuss. Sometimes I hate the tone(in which case I'd probably sell it- I've tried a couple of times), sometimes it's(in my confused mind) decent.

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a Hartke Kickback 10 that I use for my upright (and for a powered monitor when needed). There is one decent tone in it, but you have to use the shape feature (IMO).

Lync

8. And always make sure to bump into it while carrying the amp so you'll need to do it all over again, even if you're in the same place where you last played through it. Also, don't forget to place the amp close enough to feedback, but far enough that you have to set the bass down to adjust the shape.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    FOr that money you can get a used Peavey TKO or TNT which, with proper addition of a piezo horn (hi-passed with a cap) can sound amazing, loud and are old reliable Peavey stuff.

ANDRUCA

11. I have a Peavey Microbass that sounds great in my bedroom. And it's not bad for just practice stuff...but forget it for gigging, it just doesn't have the cajones.

Cheap practice rigs just don't make good gigging rigs...unless, of course, you use a decent DI and let the sound man take all of your sound through the fronts, and you put the little beastie amp on a stand by your ear for a monitor.

The bass player for John Farnham does this.

By the way guys, if your main sound system is good enough (and I hope it is)...this is THE way to keep sound OFF the stage and pump it where it belongs...out front...

Your soundman will LOVE you! (He may even buy you roses)

12. Dedeer

Dedeer

Feb 28, 2005
    Costa del Sol
    Why don´t u go in a store an try them as many as u can. Y think that u should also try out those amps whitout a name. for ex. you can buy a "Behringer" with 60w for the same price as a "Fender" with 25w. You listen to them and you will know wich one suits you best. :bassist:

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Check out the Ibanez Sound Waves. IMHO they sound better than comparable Behringers and Fender Rumbles.

I had a SW65 for a year and I really regret selling it. Sounded great for a cheap amp and did not melt down after several abusive jam sessions and rehersals.

The last couple of months I had it I used it as a monitor at church and it worked great for that.

You can pick them up for around $190.00 (for a SW65) @ GC. The 35 Watt and 20 Watt are obviously less money.

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0224501000

This is by far my favorite little amp, and it is powerfull enough to use for some light work. And has many useful features. Tone is sweet and amazing. I wish I had one. I got steered towards the Roland Cube 30 instead, recommended by lots of TBers' which is not as as good IMHO but has some fun features and lots of tones, just none as good as the Fender tone.

Wanna buy my Cube?? 200 clams + shipping :hyper:

15. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I dont think the tweeter thing is so true. Ive got an SWR workingmans 10. Its the loudest single ten ive ever heard at 80 watts, and then you can get a satelite and bump it up to 100 watts on 2 10s. I use it for guitar too with the horn turned off. Its loud enough to practice with and play civilized small shows and still fit in my MR2 trunk (very very small)

16. How little do you want? Fender Bassman 100s are going for $300 now, but with a 15" driver they're a little bigger than the other amps mentioned. I have one and love the tone, but it isn't loud enough for me sometimes (two guitar rock band).

17. You're kidding right?.....For under $200 ...You must mean do they sound like a "Walkman" personal cd player right?.... for "under $200" ......yep, thats what they sound like......For under $500 you will get a great combo that you can be proud of and use for many applications. Look at the "Hartkes" they will blow away any of the stuff you mentioned! mho....I've got the "Kickback 15" combo that is more than enough (according to the rest of the band) for practice....Loud. And I use the 215XL and the 3500 for gigs........Hey, nobody ever mentions "Hartke " here so I thought this would be my chance!. At 110 lbs the 215XL kicks ass........so Bash all you want guy's......Anyway maybe the "Kickback12" would be a good start for you....Good luck!

18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Dude! You need to get a used Genz Benz Intro 50! It's loud, sounds amazing, and with its 12" driver, it's great for upright. I have owned 3 of them, and currently own 2. I would sell one if you're interested. I don't know what they cost new, but they can usually be had used for around $200 or less. I bought my first one for $180 used and it was the best $180 I ever spent on gear. I was very impressed. It's a loud 50W, and the tone is killer. Whether you want to buy one of mine or not, you owe it to yourself to check them out somehow. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. PM me for more info.

Jake

19. Wow, that's interesting. There's one for sale, listed at $250, a few counties over. The guy plans to be in town Monday and hopefully I'll try it.

Looking into this matter over the last few days, I am impressed by the specs of the Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180. 180 watts, 12" speaker, 37 pounds. And they cost like $300 new. I have read that they have a noticeable mid bump, which I wouldn't really want, but I could cut it with the EQ when playing upright, and probably use it as a jamming amp on electric when I didn't feel like my lugging my real rig somewhere.

20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I compared several small 12" and 15" combos at the local shop, and I thought the tone of the GB Intro 50 was the clearest. I compared it with an Ashdown 12" and 15", an SWR Workingman 12", an Ampeg 12" and 15", a Hartke 1415 Combo, and a couple of the newer Hartke combos with the paper cones. The Ashdown sounded a little muddy to me compared to the GB. I also liked the Intro 50 better than the newer Genz Benz 15" combo they had there.

Just my 2 cents, as it's all subjective.

Jake