1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best crowd singalong material

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Mar 30, 2015.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    In my experience, the song that people sing along to loudest and with the most enthusiasm is the "Ghostbusters" theme. Having lyrics that aren't too hard to remember seems to help.

2. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I am in a cover band in Galicia, Spain. We do a fairly broad range of material from 60's to 00's rock, mainly in English with a smattering of Spanish songs and the one song that always gets people invoilved is "Seven Nation Army". Always a crwod of people sing "DUH DA DA DA DUH DUH" at the end.

SasquatchDude and old spice like this.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Unfortunately :) the most enthusiastic singalongs we get are with songs like Mustang Sally, Johnny B Goode and Honky Tonk Woman. Which we don't like to play anymore unless someone really wants to hear them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    happygilmour likes this.
  4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Ha, those also seem like pretty easy lyrics to sing along with. But maybe people from English-speaking countries sing along with more complex lyrics like "Mustang Sally"?

Btw I'm in the other Galicia, the one in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Or I would be in Galicia if there still was an Austro-Hungarian Empire. Or something.

SasquatchDude likes this.
  5. BucketOfFish

BucketOfFish

Mar 17, 2014
    Anything by Mitch Miller, particularly Roll Out The Barrel. Wait! Are we talking the under 90 crowd?

SasquatchDude likes this.
  6. Not exactly the entire song but at least the chorus: Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling". The young ones, who've never heard this tongue-in-cheek song, always light up when they first hear the chorus while the old fogeys belt out the chorus with enough drunken gusto to peel the paint off the walls.

Sigh, the things kids now-a-days are missing......

Short-scale, ReneB and BassCliff like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

IME, "Sweet Caroline", "Don't Stop Believing", and " YMCA" always, always gets the crowd singing along.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Eric Clapton's Cocaine in the last set always gets them singing
    Roll Out The Barrel done in a Punk style works too

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Wagon Wheel.

BassCliff likes this.
  10. Maybe, but I think Mustang Sally might be an American thing. I've never heard it played (at least certainly not with a crowd singing along) in Canada.

Rockin' in the Free World, YMCA, Killing in the Name, etc. Always people belting those out along with the band!

11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    IMO, Living on a Prayer is irresistable to sing along to.

BassCliff likes this.
  12. AndyII

AndyII

Mar 13, 2014
    Washington
    Try playing Hang On Sloopy anywhere in Ohio, especially in the Columbus area.

Uncle Niko and SasquatchDude like this.
  14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    For a country crowd...

Scooberto likes this.
  15. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Mony Mony has been done to death around here, but everyone sings it!

BassCliff and Short-scale like this.
  16. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    House of the Rising Sun, Louie Louie, Hang on Sloopy, Cocaine, Mustang Sally, Some Kind of Wonderful.

Short-scale likes this.
  17. For the modern crowd, Bad Girlfriend by Theory of a Deadman gets them screaming at my bands shows. Of course, that's a late third set song too. Lol Oh and Kryptonite by Three Doors Down. (commences barfing)

18. Weberman

Weberman

Apr 8, 2014
    Nilbog, Ohio
    "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora.

I'm only half-joking.

Gabbs likes this.
  19. BassistNATE

BassistNATE

Dec 2, 2014
    Vancouver
    Yes to both of these! Both absolute anthems.. How about 500 miles? :) haha

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Mustang Sally gets THE BIGGEST crowd reaction (40+) I have ever seen. I absolutely hate it and refused to play it until I was almost 40.

Santeria and What I Got by Sublime are amazing for the younger crowd, and since we are both Canadian.... She Ain't Pretty by the Northern Pikes and Courage, Three Pistols, Blow at High Dough and a few other Tragically Hip tunes always go over well and get the crowd loud.

static0verdrive likes this.