Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Custom Bass for old school sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubster, Feb 8, 2004.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    In the quest for the perfect bass, what would be a good choice for a 4 string to nail "old school" sounds like Fender P, G&L L2000, Jazz, MM etc.

Some might say, why not use Fender, G&L etc? Answer - 'cos I want to get something custom built.

No slapping, all fingerstyle for: blues, R&B, Motown and Classic Rock.

OK it may not be all in one bass but what gets closest in high-end basses out there?

Which builder, woods, p/u, might work?

Thanks for your positive input.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I really like the Lakland Joe Osborn signiture. Awesome bass. Lindy Fralin pickups. Great "vintage" sounding bass.

IMO the ultimate Jazz bass is an F-Bass. They are incredibly versatile. You can get a great sounding straight up Jazz tone in passive, and a juiced up hi-fi tone in active mode. The F-bass neck is killer. It is one of the easiest to play basses I have ever had the experience with, and they are light! I am kicking myself for selling my BN5. Thankfully I may not be without one for long though;)

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mike Lull P-4
    Sadowsky P bass (Don't remember the model name)
    Roscoe SKB3004 or LG3004 (Nail a steroided P sound)

An actual P bass. Fender does have a custom shop, as does G&L, and they'd build you something you'd dig.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I second the nod to Lull and Roscoe...great values too if you're on a budget! :D

Tubster-I tried to send you a PM with a detailed breakdown of my recommendations. Clean a couple messages out and I'll send it again. ;)

5. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to second the Lakland Joe Osborne Sig. Incredible bass with the Fralins. I can't speak for the active version, but my passive one has never left me wanting anything more. Nails the old school jazz tone and then some.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Celinder Vintage P-Bass.
    Great Old school sound.
    For around $1800.00

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Messages are cleaned out now!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Osbornes I like but coming from the versatility of a G&L, I am looking for something that has more than just one trick up its sleeve!

Celinders are a rare beast in these parts and I have yet to try one.

Now, I have heard that G&L has a custom shop that occasionally builds small runs of certain lines, I was unaware that they did "one off" pieces. Mmmm??!!

Roscoes I have not tried.

Thanks for your suggestions, they are a lot of help

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Alder body, maple necked, rosewood boarded Benavente Vortex 4 string with a pair of Suhr dual coil (with or without the onboard pre)!!!

:bassist: