Best Custom Bass for old school sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubster, Feb 8, 2004.

1. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    In the quest for the perfect bass, what would be a good choice for a 4 string to nail "old school" sounds like Fender P, G&L L2000, Jazz, MM etc.

Some might say, why not use Fender, G&L etc? Answer - 'cos I want to get something custom built.

No slapping, all fingerstyle for: blues, R&B, Motown and Classic Rock.

OK it may not be all in one bass but what gets closest in high-end basses out there?

Which builder, woods, p/u, might work?

Thanks for your positive input.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I really like the Lakland Joe Osborn signiture. Awesome bass. Lindy Fralin pickups. Great "vintage" sounding bass.

IMO the ultimate Jazz bass is an F-Bass. They are incredibly versatile. You can get a great sounding straight up Jazz tone in passive, and a juiced up hi-fi tone in active mode. The F-bass neck is killer. It is one of the easiest to play basses I have ever had the experience with, and they are light! I am kicking myself for selling my BN5. Thankfully I may not be without one for long though;)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mike Lull P-4
    Sadowsky P bass (Don't remember the model name)
    Roscoe SKB3004 or LG3004 (Nail a steroided P sound)

An actual P bass. Fender does have a custom shop, as does G&L, and they'd build you something you'd dig.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I second the nod to Lull and Roscoe...great values too if you're on a budget! :D

Tubster-I tried to send you a PM with a detailed breakdown of my recommendations. Clean a couple messages out and I'll send it again. ;)
  5. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have to second the Lakland Joe Osborne Sig. Incredible bass with the Fralins. I can't speak for the active version, but my passive one has never left me wanting anything more. Nails the old school jazz tone and then some.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Celinder Vintage P-Bass.
    Great Old school sound.
    For around $1800.00
  7. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Messages are cleaned out now!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Osbornes I like but coming from the versatility of a G&L, I am looking for something that has more than just one trick up its sleeve!

Celinders are a rare beast in these parts and I have yet to try one.

Now, I have heard that G&L has a custom shop that occasionally builds small runs of certain lines, I was unaware that they did "one off" pieces. Mmmm??!!

Roscoes I have not tried.

Thanks for your suggestions, they are a lot of help
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Alder body, maple necked, rosewood boarded Benavente Vortex 4 string with a pair of Suhr dual coil (with or without the onboard pre)!!!