1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Deal for under $300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by extendedping, May 15, 2006.

1. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
    Hi I have been playing guitar for sometime and today was in a sam ash that only had 1 cheap lefty guitar...so as I waited for my wife I began fiddling with the lefty basses...and just like that the bass bug hit me...so for basic blues/rock what would be a good bass in the $300 buck range? Please remember I am lefty...also I would consider used as well. The only one in that range in the sam ash was a washburn xb120 which was used and not in great shape...thanks in advance, I can't wait to learn whatever I get, it really seems like so much fun.......

2. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
    Interesting as I have a 3500 Agile guitar...thing is...and I know I am probably being greedy naive and unrealistic...I don't want something I will grow out of in a few months...meaning is there anything in the rondo stable that you would not consider a beginner bass? Oh and should I be looking for 4 string or 6 string? thanks again for any responses.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The rondo stuff is what I consider a good canvas bass. They can sound great, and if you ever want to change it, it takes standard style pickups and such, so they are easily upgradeable.

4. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
  5. I see it this way, SX basses, as they come are great beginners basses. The wood is nicely picked, construction is good (especially considering the price), and they are just overall good beginners instruments. Sure, their electronics and hardware are crap, but SX basses are great canvases for you to create a better bass. Once you feel you need better sound, spring for a new set of pickups. You feel the bridge isn't stable enough, buy a BadAss II bridge and throw it on there. Decide you like acive electronics better, put some in. Anything can be changed about the basses that you want to change. So as you grow, let the bass grow with you. And honestly, the basses there are so cheap (price kind of cheap, not quality) that its a really affordable project.

As far as the 4 string/6 string thing goes, I say go for the 4 banger first. This will let you get a grasp for the instrument and what its all about. The 6 string would be difficult for your hands to adjust to right away because of its size (4 string would be much more managable), and as a beginner, you wont find yourself moving beyond the E-G limits of the 4 string as much as you think.

So I say look into an SX Jazz or Prescision bass and stick with it for while. When you decide to change something, do it. But they are very reliable (from what I heard, mine wont be here for another 2-3 weeks, when I order it), and you wont be dissapointed.

6. That is most likely a scam. I've never seen any Fender headstock, vintage or otherwise, with just the word Fender on it. Generally, there are things such as the serial code, made in usa, or something else on there. I could be wrong, but I've never seen one like that. That bass is most likely put together from aftermarket pieces (maybe Warmoth or something...) and has had the Fender logo put on the headstock. I've seen that several times before...

EDIT: Now that I pay attention, it isnt a vintage instrument, Vintage white is the color. And since its MIJ, maybe that really is a Fender. I'm not sure.

7. Buy something used - an Ibanez, Yamaha, Washburn, etc.

Those "vintage" lefty Fenders only have the word Fender on the headstock. And that doesn't mean this one is legit - I didn't look at it long enough to say that.

8. pawnshop or ebay, or a local used store. Most of the best basses were made in the 70's. And you can still find a guild, ibanez or somesuch for not too much change. I'd also look around at a lot of different kinds of bass.

9. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get a MIM Fender on eBay or craigslist.

10. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
    Thanks all I ended up getting what I think was a good deal...my local Sam Ash had 1 lefty 2005 MIM fender jazz selling new for $299. Now my real newbie question...the 3 knobs...hmmm the small one changes pickups? but instead of just on or off it lets you fade one into the other? thats a guess...and the other 2? both seem to raise the volume...I'm just not getting it..:(

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Volume neck p/u Volume bridge p/u Tone.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

:rollno: No, you most certainly do not speak for everyone.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

No, you are not being greedy or unrealistic - and no, there is not anything in the Rondo stable that is anything more than a beginner bass. (at least not in the Essex line) They are way over rated on this site (sorry all, it's true) People are excited about the fact that they get good customer service (fantastic - the best) and they are excited to get cheap Fender knock offs in any color and style that work okay out of the box / can be upgraded - but, don't get caught up in the SX mob mentality - they are no better than a Squier. Some will say they are as good as a MIM Fender, somebody else will come along and say they are as good as a MIA Fender - They are all delusional. SX basses are cheap, cheap basses made in china. It sounds like you know a thing or two about guitars, and you don't want you're first bass to be an entry level beginner instrument - stay clear of SX. My $.02

14. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
    Ok thanks now for a staightforward classic rock (think the who for example) sound what mixture of the neck/bridge and tone should I use...yea I know figure out what I like bla bla...but I want some bassists opinions...thanks again this is a great forum...

15. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006

Your 2 cents is appreciated I hope that I got a good deal on my MIM fender jazz...after piddling on it for a week I have such a respect now for bassists and what they do...and how somebody could sing and play like say Phil Lynott or Geddy lee is beyond me...

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    IMO - You can't go wrong with a Fender bass (P or J) with all controls full on.

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Great choice. You'll love it...and welcome to the low end!
    :bassist:

18. extendedping

extendedping

May 15, 2006
    What the heck is a P or a J? Like a bass sandwich or something?