Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best deal: new or used geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Feb 24, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    im really looking into getting a gl jazz. I was just curious if it is better to buy a new one off of, say, basscentral.com, or look for a used one somewhere. I have seen a few on ebay, but i have never ordered a bass off of it (ebay). My biggest concern it the whole "neck warp" issue that some people have. I am not worried about it, but would like to know that there is some sort of warranty.
    -Mike

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Fender does offer limited warranty to original purchaser. If the neck does do something really freaky then you can send it to an authorized Fender dealer for possible replacement. I own 14 Fenders and never had to send any bass back. I live in NYC, and close to the ocean. I do have to adjust necks but they alway's respond to adjustment.

3. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Well if you can find a mint used one from someone you trust ... that always has its +'s . As far as basscentral goes you wont be sorry you delt with them. Amazing seller/customer relations.... Great guys to deal with. Just bought a 5502D from there ... walked me through each step with personal emails. Good luck with the GL.

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Then again, the price difference between new and used Geddy Lee's is pretty small. I rarely see them under $500 used and I believe they're around $625 new through the internet chains. May not be worth the hassle of hunting down minty used one. A some of the better shops such as BassCentral may give you a better deal than that if they have them in stock.

5. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Just bought A GL recently from Musicians Buy and was also concerned, never having purschased a bass on the internet...

$629 included a tuner, stand, gig bag, and cord, no problems with the neck and it sounds great, especially through a Sansamp RBI!!!!!!!!!!

Even the stock strings were good, though I changed them.. set up well out of the box....shipped direct from Fender...

Neck is great: skinny and fast

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As far as I'm concerned there are only two ways to buy used. #1 VISUALY INSPECTED, You go to where the bass is , play it, check the neck, check the electronics. If your new, take someone with you that you can trust to look at the instrument. They are not a car , and it is rare for there too be some "hidded, expensive" repair lurking inside them. Even the high end stuff, there are almost no structural or electronic problems that can't be detected on a used bass by playing. #2 LEGITIMATE DEALER, you can buy on line or Ebay, just be sure it's a legitamate dealer, who will give you some inspection time. Usually on a used instrument you'll get 7 days before you have to return it for refund. If you don't know any here's a list to get you started. Low Down Sound, Bass Central, Bass northwest, Austin Bass traders, G Gutiars, Elderly Music Those are just the ones, I've dealt with, allmost all of the good dealers are on ebay too. I'm sure some other T'Bers can list some I haven't mentioned. Also suppose you only save a 150., Thats a set of pickups, a good used EBS pedal, In that price range thats a lot of money! If it's not PM me and I'll tell you where to send the check! In summary , If you can find it used, buy it used!!!!

7. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
  8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  9. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
  10. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I bought a GL off ebay for £550...seems i may have been ripped off :eek: as you lot are saying its that price in dollars...ahh poo :crying: