Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best deal, used Lakeland, used G&L or new Peavey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, May 25, 2004.

1. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    All basses are used except the Peavey.
    This is in Sweden. We don't see many G&L or Lakelands here.
    We have a 25% sales tax (included in the prices).
    G&L 1505 $1,839.25
    [​IMG]

Lakland 4-94 Standard $1971,55
    [​IMG]

Lakland 4-94 Deluxe 2,235.33
    [​IMG]

Music Man Sabre 1,574.55
    [​IMG]

Peavey Cirrus NEW 1,454.54
    [​IMG]

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    What kind of music do you play? -Luke

3. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Alternative rock/rock.
    Finger style. Little bit of tapping.

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I'd say start trying them out and see what fit's you man! -Luke

5. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried them all.
    I really like the Lakeland standard.
    The Cirrus and the Lakeland are the best players according to me. But the best deal is what I'm wondering about.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I personally own a Cirrus 6 string,and I've never had a problem achieving the tone I desired. -Luke

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I too also own a Peavey Cirrus 6 string and IMHO concidering the Price back to back with the other basses, it is the "Bang for the Buck" bass, I also have a Lakland 55-01 and Love it, but the Peavey will out preform (IMHO) all of the basses you listed. And if at any time you are unhappy with the sound you get out of it, Change the Pup's and Pre amp.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    id say the sabre or the cheaper lakland. If you like Ernie Ball basses get the sabre. the lakeland will give you a little more verstatility though.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    both Laklands have nice prices for us europeans. I'd say go with the Lakland you like the most.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L

how about the five vrs. the four strings?

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    no question. hands down the best value for the money. The standard has a gorgeous finish, looks like a birdseye maple board--a trememdously classy axe. IMHO:

The other lakland is more money, but not any nicer.
    The G&L is outgunned by the Laklands, plus black shows fingerprints like mad when under lighting.
    The Peavey is nice but again, the fretwork and quality of the neck can't touch the Lakland. Do you like that color?
    The Sabre is a much older model, suggesting that it's probably seen a much greater amount of wear and tear in its life--check the neck with care. Also, those don't look like the stock pickups (I see no pole pieces)--believe those are aftermarket replacements (bartolini?).

The lakland is a great price, offers the highest level of quality, and most tonal flexibility.

12. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yea,ok....

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Uhh, Hello? Do you have any experiance with the PEavey and Lakland back to back? I had a Lakland 55-94 and I HAVE a PEavey Cirrus 6'er and the Fret work on the Peavey BEATS ALL LAKLANDS, No Lakland could EVER touch the Peavey Fretwork, Not saying that the Fretwork on the Lakland is bad, but its not *My Style*. And Back to back, the Cirrus is actually MUCH better than any bass up there, I can vouch for that, FOR SURE!!!

EDIT: and the neck is WAY better than any of those other basses, for sure, no question about it.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I dont think you can get those prices here in europe, and even more were did you find a lackland dealer because I want a skyline 44-02 deluxe and I just cant find a dealer (nearest to spain if possible).

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    used Lakland 4-94

16. Fretwork has style?

17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yes it REALLY does, There are different Sized Frets, and they make all the difference in the world, I love my lakland, and the Fretwork on it, but the Frets on my Peavey Cirrus offer a Very Different Feel, and Sound, they allow my action to go MUCH further down than on my Lakland.

So yes, Fret's have "Styles", you should really look into different style fret's, They make all the difference.

18. Uhh...I've had over 125 basses. I know there are different types of frets. It sounds, though, like you're using the "in my opinion" thing to unfairly deride an entire company's basses. Lakland's setups are legendary in the electric bass world, and for good reason, so you ought to be careful when you make sweeping generalizations about their work.

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Not really, There set up is Legendary to those who love them, I didnt really care for the Set up, your reading lines off the Lakland website arent you?

BTW I owned over 17,366 basses... Prove me wrong.