Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best delay pedals around help wanted!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by che990, Jan 12, 2006.

1. che990

che990

Feb 19, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    Hey guys!

I was looking the other day at maybe purchasing a bass delay stomp box or pedal. I have been playing bass for around about two years and have only ever touched with delay on my Digitech multi bass fx pedal, however , multi effecting is not to my choice and as much as i enjoy the wide range of delay i can access on it and i will continue to do so i thought that maybe a stomp box would be a little more preferblle, so far i have taken a liking the digitech delay however never playing it i havn't got a feel for the sound. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance che990:bassist:

2. Well, we need to know what features you want and how much you are willing to pay. The Line 6 DL-4 is my favorite by far, because it sounds geat, goes stereo, has footswitchable presets, and even has a decent looper function. Unfortunately, it is very large and I think it costs around $250. I have heard good things about a basic Ibanez pedal that costs less than $100, though I have never bothered to try one.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Boss DD-3 digital delay. I think it's a standard, but it works.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Maybe try the Boss DD-20, or the Electro-Harmonix 16 Second Delay reissue. Both are expensive, but have loads of options.

Graeme

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    digidelay from digitech is cool I have one, very versatile, Have to try it on my main an rather than on my 20w cheapo amp though!
    the only ****ty thin to me is the fact you can't tap tempo with an external switch, you have to press the pedal for 3 seconds to be in tap temp

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm a big fan of the DD-20. It kicked my DL4 to the curb.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm VERY partial to the Line 6 Echo Park.

8. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    ditto

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have been quite happy with my Guyatone MD-3. The tone is great and it has everything I need for bass delay.

Worth trying out, at least.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1. As far as tone goes, nothing is better, IMO. However, it isn't quite as versitile as some others out there. Good luck.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I loved the Ibanez DE7. Only drawback is that it didn't have a tap tempo feature.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Dimaond Memory Lane. Only $500.:rollno:

13. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I use both the MD-3 & DD-20. They are both very good. I like them a lot.

The DL-4, Digidelay, Echo Park, DD-6, & DD-3 are all good as well, I'm sure.

The EHX 16 Second Delay is actually much more a looper than delay. I want a looper & am strongly considering this unit with the mod that eliminates the 4 beat requirement. Don't buy 1 without this mod. The only problem is how to be sure the unit is one that has been modded. Trying to figure that one out myself.

14. I use a Line 6 DL4 because its got more delay options than most people would ever need. Its a little on the sterile side compared to many of the pedals it models.. but the fact that they're all together with a sweet looper and an expression pedal jack is awesome.

If that's too pricy.. you may want to check out Digitech's X-Series Digidelay. I used to use one of those and its a pretty sweet piece of gear. Definately worth the $100 price tag.

Hope your search goes well,
    Dave

15. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    the tape delay sim with multiple head outputs on the akai headrush is awesome

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Small single stomper footprint - Line 6 Echo Park

Not bothered about size just want the best - Boss DD20

Need analog not bothered about size - Diamond Memory Lane or Moog Analog Delay

To me those are the best options, the Line 6 DL-4 is very good but for the size the DD20 is smaller, cheaper and much better

17. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I don't agree it is better.
    I do prefer the DL-4.
    But, yes, the size could be a bad issue.
    But you know, DL-4 loops up to 28 seconds. :D

18. cann0n

cann0n

Nov 3, 2005
    Hi, this is my first post so go easy on me. I use the DD-20 on a regular basis and I love it. It carries the lows really clearly IMO. Also the different delay times really make it worth it. I love being able to switch in between dotted 8th and triplets over quarters. It retails for about $220 but if you look aroung you can find it for $160ish. I hope this is helpful

19. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've used both extensively. My comparison was on ease of use in a live setting, sound quality for recording, and how easy it was for me to tweak on the fly. I wasn't being objective in tnat I needed it to work with my setup specifically. YMMV.

The DL4 will record 24 seconds in half speed mode, 14 secs in normal speed mode. You lose resolution and sound quality in half speed. The DD-20 will record a 100 second loop. The DD-20 has more memory slots, LEDs to show you which one you are using, a display to show you delay time or loop time remaining, and the pedal switch has a better feel to me than the DL4. I also like the external tap tempo switch option, and having multiple options for what the switch does.

I won't argue about which sounds better. If you like the sound of one over the other then that is great. When the DL4 emulates classic delays they have tailored the eq accordingly. For example, I found the "vintage" tone of the maestro patch distracting, but the overall sound isn't bad. For one, Steve Lawson recorded an entire CD with one and it sounds fine..

I prefer the layout of the DD-20 because the knobs always do the same thing, as opposed to the DL4 where the function changes with the patch.

Sure, I'd love to have both!

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah but did you know the DD-20 can do 24 seconds of looping in a far better quality than the DL-4 does 28 seconds (half mode)