Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best DI ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, May 16, 2003.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What's the best DI these days, passive, active, tube?

OK, so I've typically gone to the PA through the back of my Eden head, soundman really likes it, I think it sounds great out front, so don't mess with it. HOWEVER, recently I've been using my NS electric upright for a few tunes each set, going straight to the board via DI, the cheapest, beatn-up $20 POS DI that the sound company usually has in its box. A trusted, revered friend told me the other night that it sounded very muddy and indistinct out front, and the soundman wasn't able to clean it up.

So, I'm going to plunk down some dough on a quality DI for myself. What should I get?

I've been looking at the Radial JDI and JDV's, reviews are outstanding. Also impressed with what I've read about the Aguilar 900 tube DI. Sansamp BDDI, I don't think I need the processing, want to keep it clean. I have to mail order, nobody around here carries the high-end DI's . . . so I'm flying blind.

Talk to me people!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also check out Countryman, BSS, and Raven Labs.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've used Countryman DI's years ago. Quality for sure, and back in the 80's it was widely considered the top DI, but are there any new DI's which have exceeded it since then?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've also seen Demeter DIs around a few places:

http://www.demeteramps.com/

TubeWorks makes a tube DI too:

www.genzbenz.com (look under the TubeWorks Products tab)

5. Don't forget the Avalon.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lots of guys here simply gush over the Avalon U5, so it must be something special.

i'm actually getting a Demeter VTDB-2B Tube DI, this monday straight from James, so i'll give the 411 when it arrives. but most guys i've spoken to, love the fatness it has. they say it gives everything a warm glow from acoustics to basses to keyboards. also, i like the fact it has a boost for the XRL, while most tube DI's dont.

try this page:

http://www.demeteramps.com/reviews/vtdb2b.html

scroll all the way down to the Michael Cooper review, which compares a few DI's including the Demeter box and the Aguilar box. sure, its on the Demeter site, but the review gives a pretty fair comparison of the DI's it reviews.

7. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    http://www.demeteramps.com/reviews/vtdb2b.html

scroll all the way down to the Michael Cooper review, which compares a few DI's including the Demeter box and the Aguilar box. sure, its on the Demeter site, but the review gives a pretty fair comparison of the DI's it reviews. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cool review! The writer really explained all about the actual use of DI's and the characteristics of each brand!
    Though he does say that his favorite for recording bass and synth is the Aguilar DB 900! Sounds like he liked them all for different reasons or applications.....One thing...I wish Bass Player Mag would do reviews as complete as that one! IMHO

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm..

actually, the review seemed torn between the Demeter and Aguilar for bass.

the Demeter was described as richer & more present, while the Aggie was his flat out fav for bass. kinda confusing, but all the more reason, i wanna try both!

9. I own the DB900 and a Countryman.

As mentioned in the above article the output of the DB900 is lowish (about -25, I think). Requires much compensation at the trim on the board.

The tube part of the equation is barely "there", IMO. Then again I'm used to SVTs so I'm jaded.

I thought it'd blow the Countryman away. Wrongo (IMO).

The Countryman is quieter (picks up zero interferance vs. the Aguilar which has to be moved around A LOT!).

And the Countryman simply records better. It "cuts" better.

It's also less fragile and much le$$.

10. How about Radial Engineereing JDI and JDV (active) the have Jensen transformers and are built like a tank. There is a back issue of Bass Player Magazine (November 1998)record your bass issue that has a DI shootout.