1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Direct Box For Walter Woods Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willrwilli, Aug 13, 2007.

1. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I know this is discussed in several other threads, but I need some detailed info. I am currently using a Tube Works active box, and we have always had issues. Every other week my sound guy will ask me "what I did different?" and I always say nothing. He then says he asked because he was getting a real strong or weak signal. I was thinking about a countryman DI only because everytime I play at an important gig, and the one time I played on TV they always used a countryman. I would like any suggestions you all can give me.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm a bit confused. You're just asking for recommendations of a good DI? What does it have to do with the WW amp?

FWIW Countryman, Radial, and BSS are some of the top names in DI's, used by pro bassists worldwide.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    LarryR is selling a Countryman in the classifieds. There is a
    reason its one of the industry standards. Easy to use and
    sounds great. I used mine for 20 years with never a negative
    word from a soundman. One soundman liked mine so much
    that he took it. Also as good as you need for the studio too

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use Countryman Type 85 or Radial J48 for active DI's and Radial JDI for passive. The Radials have a few extra features (like merging a stereo signal to mono) and are in the same league as the Countryman. If your signal is coming through too hot, try the Radial JDI.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you're using the Line Out on the WW, Walter recommends a passive DI. If you use an active DI Walter says to be sure it has an isolation transformer.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Are you changing the position of the selector switch for the line out from pre to post without realizing what it is you are doing?

7. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    My band recently opened up for a national country band and EVERY instrument had a Countryman DI on it. You can't argue with that...

8. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002

With a Walter Woods amp Walter recommends using a passive amp. Most of the newer ones are either active, or active with a tube. I am looking for success stories for this amp to avoid buying something that won't work for me.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: You've still lost me. He recommends using a passive amp with his amp? And when you say:
    What are you referring to, amps, preamps, DI boxes?

Let me play psychic: Did you mean Walter recommends using a passive DI when taking a signal from the line out of his amp? That would make sense, and a Radial JDI is an excellent choice.

If my psychic interpretation is incorrect, please do clarify.

10. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI
    I used my +30 years know-how, and builded a pasive DI (with LL1530) with a pad "line" or "speaker" (300W SVT-tube clone).
    I've played several gigs with that box. It sounds great.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I do believe your ESP is operational. If Walter recommends a passive DI, then the JDI is indeed the way to go.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use a Radial...the cheaper ProDI model. It works fine with my WW.

I have also had success with that cheap Behringer Active DI...it was handed to me by sound men at many gigs . I'm skeptical about an active DI for $29 and I do think it's too big but it seems to work OK with the Woods.

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Countryman 85 is bullet proof...I have one for 30 years and its still going..