Best Direct Out Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Any experiences with the following direct out pedals with EQ? This is perhaps the most important piece of the line... MUCH more than my amp & cab for P.A. powered shows.
    MXR M80
    Radial tonebone bassbone
  2. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have been using an Aphex Punch Factory for about a week now. It seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. I am going to use it as a DI when our next recording session starts next week.
  3. Sansamp.......proven track record as an excellent DI with a wide range of tone capabilities and solid as a rock construction. I use my Eden gear for most of the house sound but blend a direct signal through the house via Sansamp. I thought about running the direct out of the Metro to the board but kind of like the combination I have now.
  4. +1 for the SansAmp which I have been using for live and studio work for a number of years and which has always given me stellar results. :) :)
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  6. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    I'll check them out... that megathread really gave a mixed review of both units. Nothing too stellar... hmm, tough call
  7. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Hartke is good too
  8. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Sadowsky Outboard Pre Amp

Radial JDI
  9. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Anybody for the Tonebone??
  10. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    Radial Bassbone. its got A/B switching, preamp and DI.
    I use one with my avalon and it sounds great!
  11. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    What would you compare the tone from the bassbone to? Eden, Aguilar, GK, Sansamp etc?
    Tough to find those things
  12. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Quiet!! Maybe no one uses a direct out pedal?? I bought my Navigator to do that but it sounds too damn good to use just for that... I'll need another direct out for a post eq signal
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nah, way too noisy, and unnatural sounding . . .
  14. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Thumbs up for the Sans.
  15. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Another vote for the Sansamp.
  16. It isn't noisy at all actually. Sounds fine to my ears.
  17. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well, I'm currently using the MXR DI and I think it is ace the preset eq curve on the distortion channel is wonderful, I have the gain off so it bassically a two channel preamp now, I've not used the DI yet in a high quality situation but it sounded great for both me and my guitarist when we both used it at separate times to go through a crappy PA.

I have just sold the Aphex bass exciter which as well was good the eq was a little unnatural sounding and almost agressive. I didn't like the way it didn't really matter what you did with the tone knob on your bass, it is a great unit though don't get me wrong but only if you are into that sort of thing.

I've only tried the EBS Microbass for a short period of time Toasted can give you a better opinon, but it sounded great to me and it has a lot of options, the tube sim sucks ass basically it adds about 3db to your sound I'd say. Yeah it just makes it noticably louder but only just and theres nothing really grindy about it. I do like how it has a headphone out and an effects loops and all in all it is a wonderful unit. It's a little expensive and quite big but well worth it I'd say.

Sansamp erm basically get the programmable one if you are going to get it. I'm not commenting on this you can read it in the million other threads on it.

Radial Bassbone, at the time I tried it, I wasn't exactly searching for an EQ, I was looking for something to give my bass more umph so I ended up with the Aphex bass exciter. There is some very good options with it, although I don't like where the DI is placed it could be awkward on a pedalboard, I know it would be on mine. Might not be a problem for you, is for me. Next the eq's it can work as a 2 channel preamp but you have to select 1 of the 3 preset eq curves, I didn't like any of these at all, the main eq section is good the freqency centres seem nice, but the whole thing seemed a little lifeless to me. But like I said there are some cool options with it like the boost, and the multiple instrument inputs, and if you like the preset eq's on it I don't see why you shouldn't buy it.

So for me I'd go for
    1. MXR Bass DI
    2. Programmable Sansamp
    3. EBS Multibass II
    4. Aphex Bass Exciter
    5. Radial Bassbone

Thats just my opinion of course, hope it helps
  18. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    How's the Sadowsky?