Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Dirt Cheap Four String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I want a backup to my USA Millennium but I don't want to spend any real money. What is the best four banger for under $200 that any of you can think of.

2. essex J
    best $120 bass I've ever played

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1 of the essex J

Otherwise a well selected used MIM Fender J would represent pretty good value (particularly in resale).

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was just checking out Rondo Music and I just can't belive how cheap these basses are. I really wouldn't mind picking up that fretless P-bass for $109+. How would this bass compare to say a Yamaha RBX 270 (170?) or the Yamaha BB 404?

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ultimately, you get what you pay for in life. As a man once said "handmade basses for handmade money" :D - however by and large, the view is that the SX basses represent excellent value for money - and certainly can hold their own against basses costing twice - three times as much.

6. I also got a SX J-Bass.. I love it.. Actually, it plays WAY better than my MIM Jazz bass.

I'm probably going to order the Fretless 5 string J-Bass also.. For the price, why not?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah. see if you can score an old passive yamaha used. those are some of the coolest basses i've ever played. I've seen a bunch of really great used passive peavey's too. Not to mention old passive ibanez axes. I keep meaning to pick one of those three up as a backup myself.

8. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
  9. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    My SX P bass is so good it's ridiculous. I have an SX J bass coming, as well.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say SX basses...or Ebay..got my RB800 offa Ebay for $170 shipped and well, hard case and active elctronics make a decent amount of money right there...

11. Hmmm.

I'd suggest the SX SJB-62 CT bass. It's low cost but plays extremely well. Search the forums.

12. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was looking at the SX basses after reading all your recommendation. What can you tell me about the neck pocket fit , tuner peg quality , fret finish...and any added info. Price seems right if all these people are that impressed by the play and sound of them.

13. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Neck pocket fit? I never pay attention to that. Seems tight enough. Same can be said for my bolt-on Fodera.

Tuner peq quality? The dang thing stays in tune, and they feel smooth enough when I turn them.

Fret finish? Fret tops are good on mine. Like many SX basses, though, the fret ends stuck out a bit at first. So I took an emery board and filed them down, and rounded off the fingerboard edges while I was at it.

Pickups and bridge? Don't know. I changed them as soon as I got the thing. I enjoy tweaking my basses. I may try living with the stock pickups on the SX J bass when I get it, but I've already bought a set of Duncans for it.

14. Some of the older SX basses had problems with minor finish defects, rough fret ends and inferior pots. However much of these problems do seem to have been addressed. For SX/Brice basses a big determining factor seems to be price (no duh eh?). While $110 will get you a servicable bass another $30 will get you a very good bass. That's why I recommended the SX SJB-62 CT.

In terms of neck pocket this bass is very good and close enough that you cannot fit more than 1-2 pieces of newsprint paper anywhere in the pocket. Tuner pegs are solid and the bass easily stays in tune. The fret finish looks good to me and is comparable to many other basses with no dressing of the fret ends being necessary. The pickups sound pretty good, at least comparable to a MIM Jazz but IMHO frankly better. The pots seem good as there's no noise when the knobs are turned.

*shrug* I definitely recommend the SX SJB-62 CT. I don't necessarily recommend the others simply because I don't own them and can't really give you a first hand perspective on them. However if they are at all like this one then I'd say they're a great buy too.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    SX and OLP...

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pricewise, the SX is the best by far but I was really impressed by a Cort P-bass that I saw in a local store for $159. It had that low budget Agathis body, however, it had a really nice maple neck and fingerboard with no fret problems that I could notice in my short time with that bass. It also had a really nice and full P-bass sound. Indonesia cranks out some really nice basses in the lower price ranges.

17. I, too, have an old Cort P-Bass.. I think its about 15-16 years old.. It has a GREAT P-Bass sound.. For as cheap as the bass is, I could never get rid of it.. It has a really good sound to it..

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    We've all heard of great "for the money" basses, but sometimes, SX and MIM Fenders can be hit or miss. I haven't seen an un-playable low end Ibanez or Yamaha, quality-wise.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!