best discovery ever

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by allthings, Apr 11, 2005.

1. allthings

Mar 22, 2005
    Hi all, I am new to this forum, and I'm glad it's here. I've played (mainly) guitar and (some) bass for about the past 30 years but just recently started loving bass like never before. Maybe it's from putting away my old $90 Sega kit Precision copy and getting a sweet new Spector Legend 4, I don't know. What ever happened to fire up the bass player within, and glad it did.

Anyway, I recently made one of the most magnificent discoveries of my entire musical life, perhaps one of the best discoveries I've made about anything, ever. This discovery expands my playing, makes me better able to handle songs that have diverse dynamics, and helps me to do things with more dexterity. It's a process that never occurred to me as a guitar player, even though there were times when I needed it desperately. It's to meet a significant need that faces us all at one time or another, and for me, none of the alternate solutions were ever without drawbacks. It makes me whap myself upside the head and mutter about why I never saw this before. Now that I know about this, I can accomplish feats of bassiosity that were always beyond me. Bassolicious. Yes, this is great, though admittedly, not all bass players have the need. Here it is, (drum roll/bass groove): store your pick under your watchband while you play, and it's there when you need it! Not applause, just send money.

2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    But I don't play with a pick and I don't wear a watch either. So, eh... where do I send your check?
  3. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I'll try it. If it works well, you'll never hear from me. If it's a bust, I'll complain vociferously. ;)
  4. allthings

Mar 22, 2005
    sorry for that anticlimactic post. But I bet there are things you have discovered that are at least as earthshattering as the pick in the watchband trick, and just strangely useful to know. Oh yeah another one is flipping up the compartment lid in some cases and using it as a makeshift rack that holds the tuners up off the case in between sets. Musicians just seem to naturally think up ways of doing things that become a part of their musical life. I bet the other treads are full of ideas like this, but just not accessible with a search.
  5. i dont wear a watch, the pick usualy goes in my mouth

6. +1

or in the little slot between the wood and the top of the pick-up, just tight enough to hold it there and not make it hard to pull out. Makes a posetively spiffing thumb rest also.
  7. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I find that the best thumb rest is the low B string. I don't use it for much more :)
  8. i've Always got a pick in my mouth, very dangerous when sleeping but good for a larf. has anyone else noticed that when you put them in your pocket they dissapper and then reappear in the washing machine with no explanation?
  9. good Idea. I dont wear awatch but I've often got a wristband/warmer on. However... what I have been doing is using thumb picks... i cant belive i never thought of it before....

EVERYONE, if youdont wear a watch, use a thumb pick... works marvals for switching back and forth.
  10. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004

+1 or under the pickguard on the lower horn
  11. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005

When I play, the only picking I worry about has to do with my nose :eyebrow:
  12. chickeNeck

Dec 6, 2001
    Just lick the pick and stick it to your forehead. It'll stick for a whole tune easy, and chicks secretly find the look really hot.

Personally, I just palm the pick when I'm not using it or shove it under the pickguard near the pick up.
  13. Clear double-sided tape run along the bottom edge of the bass or guitar is perfect. It's sticky enough to hold and re-hold many picks, and yet not so sticky as to leave a residue on the pick as like duct tape or something overkill. Plus, it's clear and invisible unless you're right up on it, and then, who cares. A row of picks there can kinda look neat IMO. And if one pick does fall from there, or you mishandle it and drop it, just pick off another one in a microsecond. And after the gig, any residue under the tape is wiped off with guitar polish. This pick "holder" is the best method I've found. :)