Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best distortion for bass??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JacksonQueen, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone can tip me on what kind of pedal to get for my bass.I want distortion, should it be an Overdrive pedal or a Distortion pedal.The style of music is hard rock.
    Thanks...!

2. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    depends, if you want distortion, get a distortion pedal, if you want overdrive, get an overdrive pedal and if you want fuzz... get a fuzz pedal

3. original post:
    depends, if you want distortion, get a distortion pedal, if you want overdrive, get an overdrive pedal and if you want fuzz... get a fuzz pedal

that was no help at all, smart***

4. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    I think I helped him pretty much, don't you think?

5. I can get some really good distortion sounds with my behringer bass v-amp.

6. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    how about the ibanez pd7? it's an overdrive and distortion pedal

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The boss ODB-3 pedal is an overdrive pedal but it gets some serious fuzz too.

8. Ok,thanks,I can tell that you people think I', a moron...:) No problem, I'll just go to the local music store and try a few pedals out...
    www.blowsight.com

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Best distortion for bass? None at all! :)

10. I've got an EBS MultiDrive and an Big Muff. The EBS is one of the best for bass I think. Can get pretty brutal, but excells in smooth overdrive. I bypasses the lower freq's, so you allways have plenty of bottom. The Big Muff is also good for bass, as it keeps lowend too (atleast if you keep the tonecontrol around 9 o'clock). It pretty much does only one sound, but it's a damn fine sound. I like it, and decided to keep it though the EBS is the better one IMHO.

Good luck!

11. Thanks for all the serious answers...I've only been playing bass for about 6 months but guitar since I was 13 years old...It's really fun to play the bass but there's alot of stuff that I don't know yet, so thanks again.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Try out the "Digitech X-Series Bass Driver".

It's amazing. And if you want a wide varity of tones to pick from, this is the one you want.

13. I've always liked distortions that create an arbitrary waveform

14. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL

That's right.
    I love mine. Only had it for about a month and it kicks A*s

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Any of you guys use a Mesa V-twin pedal for bass overdrive/distortion? I've searched the forums a bit, and it seems like people have good things to say about them (with the exception of the price. ;))

For those of you who do use it or have used it before, can it get a real heavy, thick fuzz sound? I am going for a sound similar to that of the intro to the song H. by Tool. But I'd also like to be able to get nice mild overdrive sounds, which is why I am interested in the V-twin. :)

If not, or if you think another pedal would suit me better, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

16. Prescription Electronics Depth Charge!!!

I've used Boss ODB-3, Sansamp Bass Driver DI, Big Muff, Prunes and Custard and some more I can't recall at the moment but hands down the Depth Charge is my new favourite. Great grindy fuzz/distortion, well implemented blend knob, true bypass that doesn't pop, wide variety of tone and gain and a groovy orange box.

17. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Well, I'll be able to tell you this weekend, I scored one on eBay because I couldn't find one locally to try out. If i hate it it's going back on the Bay, or I'll sell it here for what I paid ($237 shipped, far cry from the new price), if I like it but it's just not my fave I *may* keep it for use with g**t*r (the few times a year I play mine).

It should be here tomorrow night per UPS.

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sweet. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your review on this forum. :)

19. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    And the survey says...

It's pretty dang cool, BUT isn't exactly what I want. So close, though! My only problem with it is that you can't set the level differential between blues and solo modes. I was going to use Blues for adding some dirt, and then solo when I wanted a touch more boost. Problem is, you get a LOT of boost!

The transparency is phenomenal, though - it sounded like a true bypass pedal when turned off and it's not true bypass! When turned on, the character of each of my basses came right through - the attack transient isn't compressed away, and even fretless "mwah" comes thru - this is in Blues mode. I set the gain about halfway, and EQ to taste. That's perfect for the Free Will, Roundabout, that sort of thing.

If this were the pedal's only mode, we'd have a winner.

Then you flip the right switch to go from Blues to Solo, and it's instant wall-of-distortion. Not fuzz, this sounds more like the solo channel on a Mark III but without the cabinet resonance that makes Boogies, well, Boogies.

Too much gain? right here buddy. But like i said, it almost doubled my bedroom level volume that I was testing it out with. yow!.

Clean mode I didn't use much, but it didn't sound much different than bypassed, so I guess that's good.

Anyways, I may go ahead and sell it but I think it's on the right track. Perhaps a single-channel tube OD and then a separate booster? Who knows.

20. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The Fulltone Bassdrive is supposed to be awesome, but its around $200. The Ibanez PD7 is nice in that it is cheap and has both overdrive and distortion circuits. Using fuzz pedals such as a Big Muff or Rat work well for bass if you want more fuzz. The Boss ODB-3 is good for industrial bass, but not for much else. You could use any guitar distortion pedal, but not all have the bandwidth to handle bass. Basically, try everything you can... its harder to find effects that work well with bass as compared to guitar.