best distortion & overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i need a pedal that is able to get the ampeg overdrive sound a maybe a bit beyond. what would you suggest?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For this poeple usually recommend the Sansam Bass Driver DI.
  3. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Fulltone Bass Drive is closest to vintage Ampeg SVT
  4. the boss odb-3 people don't like around here, but i think it grinds and it's freaking awesome.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    BJF Blueberry
    Hao Rust Ride (if you roll off your tone control in the Warm setting)
  6. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    does the blue berry let you mix dry and wet signals? is it like a ts style OD?
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No and No.
  8. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i found a shop in finland that selling one for 300 euros (about 300 dollars) it should be a very good pedal!!!!
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why not go with the Ampeg tube preamp/DI and push it into overdrive. Using it with a Keeley looper you can turn it on and off.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You get what you pay for. But try it first if you get the chance.
  11. BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Roger Mayer Voodoobass. Immitates vintage tube amps with a passion, and can go from warmth to grind to overdrive to distortion to fuzz with the turn of one single knob, it's a brilliant pedal, and my favorite overdrive of all that I've tried.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the odb-3 sounds absolutely nothing like an ampeg overdrive sound
  13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I was going to post the same thing. The Boss is fine if the tone is what you're looking for, but if the tone you're looking for is the Ampeg OD, that ain't it.
  14. if you are looking for that ampeg sound I would probably recommend an ampeg amp. yup.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Some people.

You should know that I love mine! I got my first one stolen off a stage last winter. The club owner handed me a hundred dollar bill to replace it with (how cool is that?!). I thought "here's my chance to upgrade", and walked in to a big music store with like $250 in my pocket, and time to try'em all! I walked out with another $80 ODB-3.

Now I must admit that I still haven't gotten to try the sparkle Drive OR Fulltone units yet. Oh! -and also, while I really like the sound of the ODB, it doesn't sound like an Ampeg; I was just responding to Scorp's post.

16. well, that's good, because i despise ampeg. i think any OD has the potential to sound good if you take long enough to eq between the pedal and the amp