1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEST DR Strings to match up with a BARTOLINI equipped Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DPG003, Dec 10, 2011.

1. DPG003

DPG003

Oct 15, 2011
    My Lakland 55-02 has the Bartolini pickup system and I would like to try out a set of DR strings. On top of the Ash body and Bartolini pups & electronics my 55-02 has a rosewood finger board.

Taking those things into consideration I was wondering which DR set might provide the best tone with the Bart system. I'm a guitar player who recently switched to bass so I'm playing with a pick. No Slapping or Popping Stuff. Mostly Praise & Worship, 70's Classic Rock, & Some newer Rock.

Some consider the Bartolini equipped 55-02 to be darker sounding than the LH3 equipped 55-02. I haven't compared them so I'm not sure. Thanks

2. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Depends on what your tonal goals are. For all-round, I recommend DR HiBeams for your bass. The Barts have a bit more subdued highs and the rosewood may sound a bit warm so the HiBeams can bring out some nice top end out of the bass. Fatbeams are the same except they have a bit more lows than HiBeams.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hi beams are great on those basses, but DDTs will have a better low B.

4. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I would go with DR Fatbeams myself. Loved them on my last Bart equipped 5'er. Still gain some highs, but get a real full low end too.

5. Warrior_Bass

Warrior_Bass

Mar 10, 2010
    I found DR stainless steel strings to be a bit harsh in the upper treble regions. I'm using nickels and they suit the barts very well.

6. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Did you try the Fatbeams? They are a little less harsh than the Hibeams and worked great for my last 5 string. All of the DR Stainless where too harsh on my Jazz bass so I went to Nickels on it. I guess it also depends on what kind of tone you want. Some people like that harsh klankiness.

7. devilman666

devilman666

Apr 23, 2011
    manchester nh
    I say hit just strings.com and get a set of dr lowriders and you're done. Best all around dr string.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    So in conclusion of the previous three or 5 posts...

There is no best suggestion. String choice varies entirely based on your preference, style, and the combination of bass wood, pickups, preamp, amp, etc.

Unfortunately it's often trial and error.

(And a personal comment... from a dynamics of playing standpoint... for praise and worship I'd definitely recommend learning some other playing technique's other than pick. Fingerstyle gives you way more dynamics than pick. IMHO)

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm partial to the Black Beauties, myself. I'm not sure which strings in their line are equivalent.