Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best driver for small 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Persuader, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I have a small 4-10 cab;23x23x7.5 internal vol of 2.45 cu/ft.I'd like to know which 10 driver would be best for this.i'm running a trace ah250 and playing mostly higher octave notes,i want the sound to be tight and all notes to be even in vol,the rick bass has flats and i use a pick.The cab has some old pyles in it now,but walks all over the garage floor when i play it hard.
    I think it needs to be heavier.

2. A cab that walks when you move it is poorly braced. The acoustic power inside the cabinet is wasted on making the walls vibrate. The cure is using heavy material like MDF, or heavily bracing the cabinet. Both add weight.

The Eminence B102 is a perfect match in this size cabinet, tuned at 45 Hz.

3. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Thanks bgavin,
    i didn't mention that the cab is sealed....and was prob. a fender guitar cab....is this not worth messin with in your opinion?

4. The B102 driver rolls off very high, and isn't worth squat in the low range. However, it is a very nice driver for bi-amping or playing up high.

Link to B102 Response in SBB4 at 45 Hz

One of my favorite 10s is the Eminence BP102. It requires 2.19 cubic feet at 40 Hz for the BB4 vented alignment. You could build a nice 2x10 with these, but the SPL is only about 94.1 The cab size would be a little smaller than a D210XLT.

Link to BP102 Response in BB4 at 40 Hz

I encourage you to purchase a cabinet instead. Listen to as many as you can, then buy it. Instant gratification, less disappointment, and you know what it sounds like before spending the money.

[ edited for relocated plot graphics ]

5. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Thanks again bgavin...i'm interested in an ampeg svt 410 to match my B25 amp.