1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Drivers for Overdrive Projection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, May 3, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    This subject has been hinted at, but never directly addressed I think.

So guys - In your opinion, what's the best driver to reproduce overdrive in a punchy way. - let's say the box is optimized for the particular driver and for punch as well.

???

10??

???

12??

???

15??

???

which one? or for what type of overdrive is each one suited - onomatopedic responses are always appreciated.

~Michael

2. Using my peaveys

10's = grrrrrrr-gangganggang-grrRRRrrrrrrr

15's = cu-oh-ah-eh-oh-ouch

Basically what im saying is with my peavey 410 overdrive works great, but unfortunatly my peavey 215 tends to not handle overdrive well at all, which is a pity because its an awsome sounding cab otherwise!

Altho, this isnt true to all 15's because the marshall 215 i use at our practice room handles overdrive really well

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    My bergie 6/10 loves the od.
    Nice and dirty.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Double ditto. My Bergantino NV610 sounds great even when I cruise my SWR Interstellar Overdrive out to Planet Fart.

The NV610 works so well because it's sealed (non-ported) and tweeterless. Tweeters and overdrive don't mix: first, because the sound is buzzy and harsh, and second, because they don't handle clipped waveforms well: pop goes the tweeter.

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'll flesh this out a bit.

I'm asking this specifically because I'm toying with the idea for LDS to make a tweeter less sealed cab to match up with a schro 1212R to handle overdrive exclusively. and I'm wondering about drivers and number of.

For example.

a nice bag endish 115 - super punchy and loud - cool overdrive.

a 212 using neos

or a neo 210 or 310

Which brings up another question does anyone have opinions about overdrive through neo drivers?

Of course low end is not necessary because the same rig has the 1212

I just figure driving the 1212 with 500w should be sufficient and I've go an extra 300 to 700w (depending on the second cabs ohms. to play around with.

Personally I think a sealed (or maybe ported I dunno) 310 loaded with the new Eminence s2010 would be bad ass. punchy, 450w at 2.67 ohms, loud enough to keep up with the 1212. and light!

thoughts?
    Hmmm.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If the cab is going to do nothing but overdrive, you're best bet is to use a speaker with a short x-max. It will run out of suspension travel nice and early and therefore start distorting nice and early. As long as it has a nice presence in the high-mids above 1K, if should work a treat.

For protection against damage, make sure it also has a large X-mech.

Guess what, we've just re-invented the typical rock guitar cab!

The good news is that short x-max drivers are much cheaper than large x-max drivers. The bad news is you might have to add some sort of low end filtration because these speakers aren't designed to handly low frequencies in abundance and could be damaged.

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    thank for the advice Pete bass.

I don't know if I am in to actual speaker distortion - but if I do want it then 10s are a must to keep everything tight.

However it would be intriguing to find a 10" driver that could do double duty as a stand alone and with the help of a filter to roll off lows at about 100hz - I may have a nice hybrid cab.

Hmmmm.

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Bump for thoughts